What regulations apply when replacing a roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've inherited, and am selling, my late parents' house. As such, I don't have full information on what was done to it and when, beyond what paperwork I find and anything I recall them telling me over the years.

I do know that the roof was completely re-tiled 3-4 years ago. My understanding is the main frame was left, and then new tiles were laid with modern lining, etc.

Our current buyer has asked where the building regs approval for this is, and I haven't the slightest idea if this is something they would've had done. My dad was very much "don't tell me what I can do to my house" but the roof was done in between my parents' deaths, by my mother.

I'm not sure if this is something that would require approval though - can anyone tell me?

Technically, there's also the issue that I was not the owner of the property when any of the works were carried out. My parents owned it 20 years and I have had it about a year once probate was granted. All the solicitor's forms talk about "what work has the SELLER done" and I don't know a seller is normally responsible for showing certification for anything the previous owner did? Or are they?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if it was just repaired and maintained it shouldn't need building control. It's probably out of time for enforcement too

I found this: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/47/roof/4

After a period of time the roof on existing buildings will need to be replaced. In most situations, this work will need Building Regulations approval.

Pitch Roof
If the existing roof covering is to be replaced with a different material to its original for example, slate to tiles, then approval under the Building Regulations is likely to be needed to ensure the roof will be adequate in terms of structural stability (applicable where the replacement tile will be significantly heavier or lighter than the existing), and also meets requirements in respect of fire safety and energy efficiency (see above).

If the new roof covering is significantly heavier or lighter than the existing one, the roof structure may need modifying and/or strengthening, and you are advised to check with a structural engineer or surveyor before commencing with works.
This seems to imply - though by omission slightly annoyingly - that if the same (or similar weight) roof covering material is used then regs approval would not need approval. A more definite answer would be useful though in case he wants to play silly buggers.

Would permission show up on a planning portal?
You could search to find it? Assuming it was there

I just looked on my local planning portal for building control and gave up after 250 applications- none of which were roof replacement. Two were adding pitched roofs to flat roofed garages

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would permission show up on a planning portal?
You could search to find it? Assuming it was there
I don't know if such portals show every single thing? I had a simple search and nothing is shown against this property, though conversion of next door from 2000 is listed.

Edited my post

I can't find any roof only application either

You could ring the council and keep your cards close to your chest

We bought our current house from an estate (equity release company and nephew of the old owner).

They returned all the solicitors paperwork blank with a covering note stating that they didn't have any information and that we were to but based on our surveys and viewings. I would do the same if I were you.

They don't have to be filled in they just make things easier.

just tell them you don't have it, as it was done by your late parents and that they should direct their surveyors to assess it

Building regulations is not planning permission.
You can normally replace your roof without planning l.
They should of had building regulations but I doubt they did. I don't see it being a problem as it was quite a while ago and as such the time period for prosecution has lapsed.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back