What sander to buy?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a sander.
Not going to be a professional carpenter or anything.
Just a few things here or there.

I've just order the Bosch PSM 100 from Amazon for £25.
See below:

dqNOCs.jpg

Is this a good buy?

I see replacement sander sheets cheap - like 40 for £3.30?
EDIT: these are the cheapest ones I saw www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZF74KW2 - I assume there are NOT compatible with the Bosch?

I can't find super cheap ones for Bosch.

I can cancel the purchase if you guys say no good and there is another better option.
I can buy from Argos for £15.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are always other options, and for lowest cost sanding sheets, get a 1/4 sheet sander with clamp fixing, then you can buy rolls of whatever sandpaper you want and cut to length, rather than being gouged for the specially shaped overpriced pieces.

thanks for the reply.
makes no sense at all buying sandpaper that won't be used!!
i just cancelled from amazon

any recommendation for a clamp sander?
i see 1/3 sheet or 1/4 sheet ones.
i was thinking of buying vonhaus one for £20.
any thoughts?
thks

I have had 1/3 and 1/2 sheet sanders and now use a delta sander even for large areas.

I find it faster to use and, although it has a smaller surface area, more efficient because of its manoeuvrability.

Blup

Sponsored Links
You don’t need to be a professional to use a sander but if you want professional results buy a good quality sander .

hmm... i'm now back to the bosch thinking of reordering.
it's crazy. you just cant buy sandpaper of one grade - always mixed packs.

i've been using a clamp sander from wickes. it did the job and was OK. it was many years old.

not sure what to buy. :LOL::eek::confused:

Appreciate that you may not have a crystal ball, but what do you intend to sand?

Having gone through a number of mouse sanders, I find them painfully ineffective for the most part.

I now use a DeWalt 1/4" sander for the smaller jobs, with a delta sander when I need to get into the really small areas. But if I had to choose just one, I'd go for the 1/4" sander, on the basis that I can use rolls of sandpaper (*MUCH* cheaper) and always tear a bit off for hand sanding any intricate pieces.

all i need for is sanding bits of wood i might cut to make the odd box.
i think i'll go for one of these from argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2681764
135w so not powerful. but guessing it will do the job.
the pics show hook and loop + clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back