What screwdriver should I buy?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sick and tired of pound shop rubbish.

I was going to buy a Stanley make ratchet screwdriver.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Best screw driver I have:
makita-dtd152rfj-18v-impact-driver-with-2x-3-0ah-li-ion-batteries-supplied-in-makpac-case-pid43925_1.jpg

pz2? what's that?

i bought this one in the end:

41SOg-xkwLL.jpg

good? bad? dewalt equivalent in screwfix was £30 or something.

i also bought one of these:

51PYqoxfR3L.jpg

how does it compare to the makita?
(i'm assuming makita is king... i didn't want to spend that much + got the above on a black friday deal)

Sponsored Links
pz2 is the driver /bit end profile like flat bit and will only work correctly using the correct bits without chewing up the bit and the screws

I thought this was going to be one of securesparks "what shall I buy?" posts ! Those Stanley screwdrivers are OK until the ratchet fails and the bits get chewed up, they're a bit soft.

Yeah, but in honesty the OP sounds like (s)he is just starting out with a bit of DIY tinkering so for that purpose they will be ok'ish for a first time purchase. (Personally wouldn't give em house room, but that's a totally different kettle of fish)

That's an impact driver isn't it ?
Yep - the only screw driver you need. :D

I've got battery drill drivers too, a bigger and smaller makita as well as some older nicad ones. The hours my impact driver has saved me on various projects. It really is a great bit of kit.

@OM2 - the makita is an impact driver, so it will turn like a normal drill driver, but if the screw is stuck or tight, it will start to turn less and hammer more. You tend to wear out the bits a bit quicker, but you rarely smash the screw head, because you can get all your weight behind the driver and let the mechanism do the rest. Perfect for things like frame fixers, but also any screw really. If you are having one drill driver for many jobs, then what you bought is better, because you can drill holes too.

Last edited:
for general screwing drilling driving around the house get a decent hammer drill
only get an impact if you have loads off heavy screwing off say 60mm plus screws and dont need to drill many holes and non in hard walls
do not use an impact on any delicate work or small screws off say less than 30mm
yes you can use it with great skill but its the wrong tool

Is the Stanley one a left or right handed driver? :D

Sponsored Links
Back