What SDS drill to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am finally going to buy a SDS drill as we have a victorian house and the bricks have always been a bastard to drill into. What should I be looking for when choosing one?

I don't want to spend too much on it as it won't be used all that often and would mainly be used for simple things like putting up shelves. I have seen a cheap one at B&Q for just under £50 and it is 850w but it is 4.4kg and i'm quite lightweight so do not want anything too heavy for me.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just about any 2kg drill will do for occasional use.

i bought that makita and it clutches out on bigger bits.

dont rate it myself.

Sponsored Links
My local B&Q has a Makita SDS+ drill on offer for £89.99 didnt get the model number but seemed a good enough drill for DIY or light trade use it even had roto stop and a smart carry case.

Hi I couldn't find that Makita from B&Q at that price online, how long ago did you see the offer?

I bought a Bosch GBH2400 from Screwfix last year, but the price has gone up since then :cry: But there's someone on eBay doing the same model for £80 at the moment, here. As Norcon says, better a "proper" SDS than one of those cheap and heavy Chinese doorstops - and the GBH2400 will drill Accrington brick (blue engineers brick) and is up to my usage (trade). Probably as cheap as you'll ever get a decent SDS drill

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hold on - that's 110 Volt!
So it is, Joe, some of us trade types get carried away by our need for 110 volt (not you, though, obviously). This one isn't, but it costs a wee bit more. Very similar spec. Either way still better than buying a cheap Chinese boat anchor

To the OP - wattage doesn't really count for SDS drills, it's more the impact rating in Joules which makes a difference. My first SDS was a mere 550 watts but easily outperformed the 1050 watt DIY "super impact drills" of the day when drilling masonry. When buying remember to pick-up a set of SDS drills; 5.5mm (red plug) and 7mm (brown plug) are the two most useful

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
LadyM

you have to start by deciding what you want to use it for. Occasional holes for a plug and screw to hold up a shelf? Or core-drilling for extractor fan ducts? Or chasing out walls for cables? Or breaking up concrete lumps that fence-posts have rotted out of?

I have a great heavy thing that I bought to bolt stanchions into concrete, but it would be quite unsuitable for picture-hanging jobs.

I was in homebase today, and they had a small bosch green SDS drill on offer for £60.

I'm sure it would be fine for general DIY use

Thanks for all the tips and advice I think I have narrowed it down to these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gbh...er/51145#product_additional_details_container

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7114391.htm

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=664672

The Worx one I think is a homebase own brand, does anyone know if they are any good or if it is best to stick to Bosch? I'm wondering if it is worth spending a bit extra to get one that is also good for chiselling incase I need it at a later date.

Bosch every time.....if you want to go chiselling at some time, do ensure the drill has roto-stop though.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back