What should be included in a structural Engineers drawings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've received some drawings and calculations from the engineer but there's nothing regarding the roof. Its a 2 storey side extension and the existing roof will have to take some weight of the valley roof on the extension. Surely that should be included and will be needed for building regulations?
Happy new year everyone.

Sponsored Links
Not only needed for BR’s but also for a builder to price and build from. Any engineering questions or queries should be directed to your engineer.

Did you ask this engineer to design a roof?
I asked if we could have a vaulted ceiling in the bedroom and if there was a way for the walls to take more of the weight so the existing roof didnt have to take it all.

As his drawings are going to be submitted with the building regs and he was hired by the architect doing the regs for that purpose I would like to think everything needed will be covered with the application?

Sponsored Links
Normally, the architect designs the roof and uses standard tables to select the main roof parts, and the structural engineer just designs the non standard elements not in tables eg beams and long purlins or wall loadings.

Engineer's drawings do tend to be very basic and with minimum detail - typically only enough to justify things technically for building regulations and not describe things practically or to build from.

You need to clarify things with your architect, as it seems he instructed him and he would be responsible for ensuring the design and drawings are adequate and suitable.

Something should have been allowed for the new roof and modifications to the existing, either by the engineer or architect. Once the BR application is submitted and on the assumption it’ll be a Full Plans submission, Building Control will raise any queries.

But as you’re the client, there is no reason why you can’t approach the architect if they’re the ones co-ordinating the process.

Ok you both seem to be saying what I was hoping you would.
As for me talking to the Architect, I will next week. I thought I should sound out other opinions first. In case was missing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back