What should I do about white feathery mold on stud wall in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had a longstanding leak in the bathroom, there is white feathery mold on the stud wall wood.

Also black and possibly brown mold on the inside of the plasterboard.

It seems to wioe off easily and the wood looks fine structurally.

What is the best course of action please?

Sponsored Links
Sorry the pics are a bit distorted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-211144_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501-211144_Photos.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230501-211138_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501-211138_Photos.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 52
If you have stopped the leak and the timber is still sound then just brush it off.

thanks woody, I think that mould has spread to the plywood under the floor tiles, I have read that you should be careful to get rid of this stuff or it an spread more, do I need to lift those tiles and wipe it off ?

Sponsored Links
If the timber is soft when you press something like your thumbnail into dry rot may already have got started. NB so called dry rot which is fungal requires the wood moisture to be above 20% for a long period the fungal filaments which destroy the timber fibres need the moisture in order to grow and eventually start to produce the white/gray spore bodies which you are seeing. You may get away with it if you thoroughly spray all the wood with a suitable fungicide and take steps to get every thing thoroughly dry but don't count on it and check if the timber has re-hardened so to speak after a month or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back