What should I do first - Sub-base or edging for DIY driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are stuck, various sites say lay edging first before sub-base, others say vice versa

Some one please help!

Not sure what to do first

Thanks in advance for your responses

Sponsored Links
I usually go for edging first, well haunched at the back. Don't hit it head on with the plate though or you'll be doing it again.

Sponsored Links
I have had 2 builders over today to quote for laying the edgings and they both say, lay type 1 , whack it down, then do haunching

Does it really makes a difference then?!

It doesn't really matter i suppose, some people have their own way of doing things. It can depend on the size of the job and how much prep is needed.

Obviously if you lay kerbs you need to leave them alone and not be bumping them with a vibrating plate. But on some smaller jobs you may not have time to let them set in which case i can see the sense in doing it after.

Personally i find it easier and more logical setting my kerbs to the desired levels first and then in filling.

Laying the race or edge first gives you a reasonably accurate lay of the land and helps enormously when working out quantities and shaping the stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back