What size Cable for Submain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I propose running power to a garage and workshop using SWA Cable

This will power a total of 7 twin sockets, four flourescent lights and three standard light battens. and the workshop will do occasional use with welding equipment.

I was just wondering what size cable you would advise for this. The run from the main consumer unit is approx 20 meters.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Welding equipment.
Would you like to be more precise about the load of this.

There's MIG, TIG and ARC welding and some of these need a LOT of current....

Sponsored Links
When you apply for Building Regulations approval, what do you plan to say about the way you'll comply with Part P?

Welding equipment.
Would you like to be more precise about the load of this.

There's MIG, TIG and ARC welding and some of these need a LOT of current....

It will be mig welding

So what. This one requires 16amp http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/Downloads/MIG_Welder_Owners_Manual_INV160.pdf

Others need much more.

What is the rating of the MIG welder that you have/will use?
Cannot advise on your query unless this question is answered.

As RF Lighting has already said, 10.0mm² is what you want.

Stick it on a 40A type C MCB from, and enjoy your life.

(It is highly unlikely that single phase welding apparatus requires more current than can be delivered on such an installation, therefore such levels of pedantry are unnecessary.)

When you apply for Building Regulations approval, what do you plan to say about the way you'll comply with Part P?

Are you just on these forums to be obstructive???. Having read many of your posts, you just try to be negative rather than helpful :mad:

I am well aware of the regs and that the work is notifiable etc etc, you keep banging on about it in most of your posts. I will be employing a qualified electrician to do the main work and are merely sorting the cabling side of things !!!!!!!!!! :evil:

If you are getting an electrician in and he is going to sign the work off, you should get him to design the circuit to his liking, there is no one way of doing any job and he may or may not be happy with the cable we have selected or the way you have installed it, you should confirm with him before you buy and do anything.

Better to know what he is happy for you to supply and install and the job run smoothly than him to turn up and have to remove or reinstall all your work.

Good luck with the project, let us know how it goes.

Also I know you dont want to hear about it but you should realise the complications that can arise from not informing the LA about what you are doing, it can cause you trouble if you ever have to sell your house, the potential fines are up £5000 ect, i would advise reading up on it before making any decisions.

:)

I will be employing a qualified electrician to do the main work and are merely sorting the cabling side of things !!!!!!!!!! :evil:

As he will be signing the work off (as his own) shouldn't you be asking him what size cable is required?

Are you just on these forums to be obstructive???. Having read many of your posts, you just try to be negative rather than helpful :mad:

I am well aware of the regs and that the work is notifiable etc etc, you keep banging on about it in most of your posts. I will be employing a qualified electrician to do the main work and are merely sorting the cabling side of things !!!!!!!!!! :evil:
OK - fine - you carry on doing what you think will be OK, and what you think your electrician will do, and what you think you'll be able to say to the council and what you think will get you your completion certificate at the end, and just hope you've got it right.

Heaven forbid you should actually find out about the potential pitfalls beforehand.

If you had all read my previous posts, I said I am well aware of the regs and what is involved legally.

I thought this website was to offer advice!!!!!!, I asked a question regarding Cable size, not to be told what I am allowed or not allowed to do

Thank you to RF Lighting and Love Rocket for constructive answers...

If you had all read my previous posts, I said I am well aware of the regs and what is involved legally.
When I wrote what I did, these were the only posts you had made:
Hi

I propose running power to a garage and workshop using SWA Cable

This will power a total of 7 twin sockets, four flourescent lights and three standard light battens. and the workshop will do occasional use with welding equipment.

I was just wondering what size cable you would advise for this. The run from the main consumer unit is approx 20 meters.

Thank you in advance
It will be mig welding

Please highlight where you said you were well aware of the regs and what is involved legally, because I can't see it.

I thought this website was to offer advice!!!!!!,
It is.

I asked a question regarding Cable size, not to be told what I am allowed or not allowed to do
Please show me where I told you what you are or are not allowed to do, because I can't see it.

When you've done that perhaps you'd like to show me the forum rule which says that I may only offer the advice which you think I should, because I can't see it.

Thank you to RF Lighting and Love Rocket for constructive answers...
An answer to my question might have elicited more constructive answers for you.

Perhaps you'd like to look at the many posts here from people who, too late, have found out the hard way that they should have paid more attention to what they were telling their LABC they would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back