What size Catnic lintel for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension 3.1 m wide and 5 long. Rafters will span back to front flat roof.

Will a 3 m catnic lintel be sufficient with 300mm returns on both sides and the rest for a French door.

The flat roof will be on the front wall above lintel but it’s a single story.

Sponsored Links
Will a 3 m catnic lintel be sufficient with 300mm returns on both sides and the rest for a French door.

The flat roof will be on the front wall above lintel but it’s a single story.

No. 300mm returns won't get past building control without SE input.

Last edited:
No. 300mm returns won't get past building control with SE input.

If it is 300 measured externally, I doubt any SE would be able to prove adequacy, unless there were suitable ties between the flank wall and roof.

Returns will need to be at least 675mm each side, measured on the outside. The document reference is Approved Document Part A, diagram 14.
Download it for free here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents/62/part_a_-_structure

For a 3m span generally it's best to go with a structural engineer to provide you with calculations to submit to building control, especially if you are installing bi-fold doors, as the beam/lintel can be designed to the manufacturer's deflection criteria to stop the door sticking.

Sponsored Links
My philosophy is that they would not make 3m lintels if you couldn't use them. :rolleyes:

Lintels are made to have a quantity of masonry over the top to spread the load. For a single storey flat roof that is generally not the case. Secondly, and this is why I mentioned it, lintel manufacturers won't tell you how much it will deflect, so you could end up with problems with binding on bi-fold or french doors. Thirdly, even if you go for a standard lintel, someone has to work out the loading.

Edit: Case in point today, I just rang Keystone to get the I-value (stiffness) of their standard cavity lintel, to see if it would go over a 4m bi-fold door. While it's advertised as going up to 4.8m long, the technical department said their charts didn't go up to a 4m lintel and they would have to "Get back to me". I have a few friends who used to work there, and one of them said that they tended to do a special for anything that long - which is no use to most builders as they want to get them off the shelf and not have to order it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back