What size do you think these tails are

Sponsored Links
Did you know that the main switch terminals are live, even when the main switch is off? Those big, brass, exposed terminals with no cover.

I wouldn't take a steel measure near them if I were you.

I think if you look closely at the pics there is a the normal clear plastic cover over the main incoming terminals.

I still would not be putting a steel rule or tape near the inside of a live CU though :eek:

I mean what is wrong with a plastic ruler. I have a plastic vernier, it always gets a laugh from mechys on site.

Martin

Did you know that the main switch terminals are live, even when the main switch is off? Those big, brass, exposed terminals with no cover.

I wouldn't take a steel measure near them if I were you.

That looks like the incoming NEUTRAL terminal, on an old Wylex, the NEUTRAL was on the left, as per the photo - it will be at earth potental in a PME system! (Look at the right hand side of the service fuse holder block - there will be an earth cable coming off the right hand side of the block) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Not always, and it's still frighteningly close to the live incommer.

The incommer shrouds are missing.

Sponsored Links
The CU is isolated so the incomer is dead.

I was a bit dumb with the CSA thing though. I was just hoping somebody would have an idea what the size of the meter tails would be if the circumference was 32mm.

How do you work it out

Thanks

You did work it out, but you ended up with the csa of the entire cable including insulation because you started with the circumference of the entire cable including insulation.

(How did you measure that, BTW? Easier, surely, to measure the diameter?)

To "work it out" you do need to start with the size of the cores themselves, but if all cables from different manufacturers are more or less the same size then I would have thought someone could say "if the od is 10mm it must be ______".

No takers yet though...

Is this the same CU that is fed from the meter in the original pic?

If so, I really do stand by my 16mm observation as you can judge it easily looking at the CU. I would also still say that pre-meter is 25, not this makes any odds TBH.

Assuming this is the installation in both photos, how did you isolate the CU? Withdrawing the DNO fuse? It looks like quite an old one which would have no shroud once removed (although even shrouded ones have a large hole in them). Don't try measuring that hole!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back