What size pipe for CH installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was advised that a plumber would split the system into3 zones,one for each floor.He proposed to run 22mm to each level and then branch off to the rads in 15mm.There will be 7 rads in a large 3 bed terrace,using a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831(28 kw),with a single bathroom.The branches will be no more than 5 metres.
Does this seem feasible?I should add the guy seemed very knowledgeable and transparentI will be fitting the wet side but he will be tackling the gas supply and boiler.

Sponsored Links
Yes that will be fine, pretty much standard pipework sizing.

If you trust the guy why come on here questioning him though?

Sounds like this attitude of never trust a plumber!

Funny though that he probably unquestioningly trusts his solicitor and doctor!

I was advised that a plumber would split the system into 3 zones,one for each floor
Is this his idea or do you need to have separate control over each floor? It adds to the cost and complexity of the system.

He proposed to run 22mm to each level and then branch off to the rads in 15mm.There will be 7 rads in a large 3 bed terrace,using a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831(28 kw),with a single bathroom.
A 28kW boiler for just seven rads is overkill. It means each rad is, on average, 4kW, i.e double convectors 600mm high and 2200mm long!

Use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you really need.

Pipe sizes are OK.

Sponsored Links
A 28kW boiler for just seven rads is overkill. It means each rad is, on average, 4kW, i.e double convectors 600mm high and 2200mm long!

Use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you really need.

Pipe sizes are OK.

An ecotec plus is a combi boiler so the heating wont get the full 28kw plus the heating load can be easily adjusted to the heat demand and commissioning.

The new Ecotec 831 also modulates down to 5.2kw on the heating :) Maximum output for heating is 24kw though. The 837 is 6.4kw - 28kw.

Sounds like this attitude of never trust a plumber!

Funny though that he probably unquestioningly trusts his solicitor and doctor!

You are wrong and I am committed sceptic even with white collar professionals.I simply wanted a second opinion not a personality analysis.Thanks for the free advice,Agile,and thanks to other people for their helpful comments.

Yes that will be fine, pretty much standard pipework sizing.

If you trust the guy why come on here questioning him though?

I did say he seemed OK,and your second opinion has helped settle the issue for me,so thanks PP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back