What size screws do I need to secure a toilet to the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the screws that secure my toilet to the floor have all corroded and sheared. The toilet was probably fitted in the late 70's/early 80's as it is in a former council house and the screws look like they go into the floor at a slight diagonal angle.

What length of screw do I need to use to replace them?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cheers.

The parts of the screws I have that have shearede off are between 1" to 1 1/2" long so maybe 3" screws would do or should I use something a bit longer?

Forgot to mention that the bathroom floor has laminate down so would I need a longer screw because of this?

Add 10mm for laminate on expanded foam backing, fibre backing will be more. Traditionally the screws were always brass to mitigate corrosion.

Sponsored Links
What is the sub floor made of?

and I would use 10s minimum, & 12s if they will go through the pan

In the olden days 2½" x 12 brass screws were the standard.

Still recommend brass screws as they don't rust but of course once the slot is damaged, you're b*****d. These days I normally use a plastic cap to hide them.

Good luck getting the old ones out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back