what size wiring- elecrtic shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im thinking of installing a -TRITON MINIATURES 9.5KW BLACK GLOSS FINISH electric shower. What size cable and what amp rcd do i require for it to operate safely. The distance is approx 10m from the consumer unit, thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is the Black Gloss one 10mm should be ok.

Are you going to notify this and test your work as the law of the land demands.

Seriously there is a bit more to it than that. You need to be able to size the cable according to the regulations. To do this you need to consider the erection method use and grouping factors amongst other things, The is a popular pollster on here who has a nice link to all of the information you require, I will see if I can copy and paste it here for you.
Martin

Sponsored Links
yellowbelly, what type of consumer unit do you have? Does it have spare ways? Is it RCD protected? What is the distance (cable route) between the consumer unit and the shower and will the cable run through any insulation? What is the rating of your mains incoming fuse? (if you dont know this, dont try to find out yourself by removing it - this could be deadly, but you should know this before carrying out the work to ensure there is capacity for your substantial shower, which will probably be the biggest load in the house. Bear in mind, the shower will have 40 or so amps running through it, in very close proximity to you or your loved ones' naked wet bodies. If anything goes wrong, it could be deadly.

hi steve, the fuse size at the mains cutout is 100amp. The consumer unit is hager and i have 1 spare way on the lighting side which is not rcd protected. The socket side is rcd protected. The length is 10m to the shower from the consumer unit and the cable is ducted in the cavity wall upto the shower.

It may be possible to install an RCBO of the required size on the non-RCD side of that board. This is only a solution for TN supply types. It does not work for TT as the RCD would have to be double pole.

What is your supply type?

Thats only a small part, there are a lot of other things to consider.

and what size mcb do i require?

Well from what you have told us so far, I can say it will be 25mm wide. Other than that you have provided insufficient data.

I think you need to find out in some way how many amps your shower will draw and then size the fuse in accordance with the regulations that have been so kindly provided above.

You will also need to be sure that the cable is rated to carry the current of the shower, again the rules are above.

If this sounds a bit harsh then please reflect that it is in you and your families interest that you have the correct information.

Also new wiring in most cases will need to be protected by an RCD. If you only have one RCD protecting the house then please consider if there is a fault it is going to be very inconvenient if all of the sockets go off as well.

If you have any question about the information please feel free to ask.

hi steve, the fuse size at the mains cutout is 100amp. The consumer unit is hager and i have 1 spare way on the lighting side which is not rcd protected. The socket side is rcd protected. The length is 10m to the shower from the consumer unit and the cable is ducted in the cavity wall upto the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back