What sort of drain is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

On changing the bathroom suite, I have found the bath drains in to this hole, with the sink draining into a similar hole beside it that leads to the same drain.
B690CDBE-7F0A-4C06-AC23-79BF49A39740.jpeg
366880FA-49C5-4CA6-B101-D80146E4652C.jpeg

The bath waste pipe came out with ease, which leads me to worry that the bathroom floor could flood in the event the drain backs up.

Has anyone any advice on what sort of fitting would better suit, or whether it all needs to come out and get replaced (and if so, with what).

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Adam

Sponsored Links
What sort of Drain? A bodge sort, thats what. Looks like an open Hopper with pipes going in the top thats just been buried. Needs digging out and the correct arrangement putting in, either fit a sealed screwed down lid onto the hopper, with pipes connected via bosses, replace with a bottle gully and again, sealed lid and connections via bosses, or direct connections to the drain with the appropriate adapter.

Is it just wastes going into it, I cant tell if thats a rainwater downpipe at the back of the bottom pic.

Thanks (again) @Hugh Jaleak.
It should just be bathroom waste - but as per the missing manhole cover, who knows with this extension!
The rainwater drains some 4 odd metres away, but could well link-up..

Sponsored Links
OP,
You would do better if you got the mods to link your manhole cover in building with this post here in plumbing.

Can you sketch & post a rough plan view of where things are or where you suspect thing are?
ie. manholes, drainage "access holes", fixtures (eg WC), drainage runs, gullies, & any possible connections with your neighbour's drainage installation?

When you've removed the recessed internal cover, & after clearing it out please pic down the manhole to show inlets and outlets.

OP,
You would do better if you got the mods to link your manhole cover in building with this post here in plumbing.

Can you sketch & post a rough plan view of where things are or where you suspect thing are?
ie. manholes, drainage "access holes", fixtures (eg WC), drainage runs, gullies, & any possible connections with your neighbour's drainage installation?

When you've removed the recessed internal cover, & after clearing it out please pic down the manhole to show inlets and outlets.
Thanks @tell80 for the pointers - I ended up having a local plumber out with a CCTV camera, as per my other thread, the sink drain had become blocked.
That was full of fat and detergent, and luckily his rod pushed it through, with the camera showing it running free after.

He looked at this drain and concluded it’s an external pot that shouldn’t be there, as per the thoughts with others on this thread.
So to get myself out of trouble we’re going to refit the bath temporarily until we can get a builder in to dig the sub-floor and do the whole bathroom. I’m guessing I’ve been lucky for the last 11 years that it hasn’t backed up and flooded the bathroom!

OP,
thanks for your reply but you are still missing the point that all of your threads are connected.
Your issues are plumbing issues.
They are simple enough to solve including the m/h cover issue which could be resolved for a whats in-situ construction or maybe for a very different, & more economical arrangement.
Same with the total drainage installation

Hello @tell80 I'm all ears for a solution. I’ve not forgotten your last message and will post a scan, but for the moment I’m trying to put the bathroom back before we go on holiday Saturday :whistle:
Thanks for the advice so far - the bathroom will get a proper overhaul when the funds allow, and the manhole is awaiting a solution…!

Does the metalwork need taking out and replacing with an inset manhole that sits 9mm higher so it can be tiled within? I’ve no idea, hence asking on here, but haven’t really had a definitive “this is what you need”.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-do-i-remove-this-manhole-cover.587366/

To answer: you could buy an oversize internal recess cover and frame, and sink the frame into the solid floor outside the manhole footprint.
Then fill the recess with sand and cement mortar to the height you need for your flooring.
The rim of the frame & the fixing points will always be visible, level in line with the solid floor surface.
Your frame will not be proud of the solid floor.

To answer: you could buy an oversize internal recess cover and frame, and sink the frame into the solid floor outside the manhole footprint.
Then fill the recess with sand and cement mortar to the height you need for your flooring.
The rim of the frame & the fixing points will always be visible, level in line with the solid floor surface.
Your frame will not be proud of the solid floor.
This is exactly what the info I need - cheers @tell80 - now to find a builder to fit, as aside from the holiday, I think it’s beyond my DIY skills!

You seem quite adept with a hammer and bolster, all you need to do is chop out around the outside of the existing frame, and expose the metalwork, once thats done, lift the old frame off the top of the chamber and dispose. Clean up the masonry now left, and bed a new frame on a bed of mortar to achieve correct height to suit finished floor level. Once thats set, make good floor screed as required, and fill recess in cover to required height.

Make good flooring to suit. Frame needs to be pretty watertight on top of masonry, any gaps around the edges could allow sewage to leak out and soak into surrounding area should drain ever block again and chamber fill with waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back