What sort of gravel to use for landscaping my mother's yard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last summer I built a small deck in my mother's yard and this summer I want to finish fixing the render on some of the walls (not shown) and re-whitewash the other walls (shown). Given the whitewashed walls and the colour of the deckboards, what sort and colour ought the gravel to be? The gravel will cover the rest of the yard and I'll build planters out of the left over deck boards.

59191_729768157213_61210090_44724644_7942248_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Don't forget a weed membrane, then you can put down plum slate, which I think looks best. Don't use gravel or your mums garden will become the local cats best friend.

Andy

with respect, shouldn't you be asking your mother this question? most colours will look ok. Get some pictures/brochures and let her pick.

with respect, shouldn't you be asking your mother this question? most colours will look ok. Get some pictures/brochures and let her pick.

:) If mum chose, everything would be beige. I spoke to her on the phone and we agreed that I would seek advice from a landscaping forum but have since failed to find one.

I met someone recently who studies landscaping and they recommended granite chippings but when I looked them up, it appeared that there are multiple shades. If there's a risk of cats making use of it though, I'll need to stop and reconsider! Thanks for the heads up :)

Sponsored Links
Cats won't use 20mm. but it's not the easiest to walk on unless compacted. Unsure about 10mm, don't have any here, but I would think it would be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back