What sort of light fitting is this??

Sponsored Links
BAS - for the price, I would buy it and fling it. No point faffing with cutting and stripping flex. A lampholder and piece of flex would likely work out more expensive than a penent set anyway!

£1.17? Is it worth the bother?

Even less from a wholesaler.

Less than that for the lampholder.

Flex is the sort of thing everyone should have a stock of anyway.

Sponsored Links
what's wrong with the old flex?

Why bother climbing up a few more steps on the ladder and unscrewing a rose? lol

I'd swap everything but the old rose. It's quicker and easier to work in the rose than it is to try and cahnge a lampholder, and I only carry pendant sets on my van, not individual lampholders.

The set is £1.20 at screw fix. If I don't use it I'll fling it.
Fling it :rolleyes: It's the sort of thing that goes in the "box of things" that you may want oneday, someday, perhaps never, but you keep it anyway. I've just swapped the ballcock in the header tank using one from "stock".

Funnily enough, Mum regularly asks why we keep all this old rubbish.

The set is £1.20 at screw fix. If I don't use it I'll fling it.
Fling it :rolleyes: It's the sort of thing that goes in the "box of things" that you may want oneday, someday, perhaps never, but you keep it anyway. I've just swapped the ballcock in the header tank using one from "stock".

Funnily enough, Mum regularly asks why we keep all this old rubbish.

That's a really good point actually. I always keep stuff like this don't know why I said that.

My neighbour was about to fling two perfectly good bathroom extractor fans the other day as he's having his bathrooms redone. The old ones match mine and go nicely in a tesco bag in the garage.

I'd swap everything but the old rose. It's quicker and easier to work in the rose than it is to try and cahnge a lampholder, and I only carry pendant sets on my van, not individual lampholders.

Concur 100% !!!

Far quicker and easier, and for a quid, you can't argue.

Get this - I've just tried the working bulb from the hallway in the fitting on the landing - it doesn't come on.

Looks like its the actual light fitting rather than the bulb. I'm going to change the thing anyway to a regular bayonet one.

Probably will do this with pops in a couple of weeks. He knows his DIY.

It's a fairly stright forward job, and it should be obvious once you unscrew the ceiling rose.

Make sure you isolate the electricity at the fuse box, as some of the wiring in the ceiling rose may remain live even when the lightswitch on the wall is off.

Last thing, take care if you're using step ladders near the stairs. It's a long way to fall.

Cheers

Are all roses the same size? I.e. will the new rose be the same size as the plate underneath that it screws on to?

Cheers

Are all roses the same size? I.e. will the new rose be the same size as the plate underneath that it screws on to?

You will be best to clean and reuse the same cover as you dont want to start changing the base really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back