what standard

Normal twin and earth, if not protected and concealed in a wall/partition less than 50mm from a surface requires RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
And if not in safe zones must be more than 50mm deep or must be mechanically protected.

There was, briefly during the 17th gestation, a madcap plan to allow cables to be anywhere if RCD protected - they dropped that idea but decided that in-practice-universal RCD protection should stay.

And if not in safe zones must be more than 50mm deep or must be mechanically protected.

There was, briefly during the 17th gestation, a madcap plan to allow cables to be anywhere if RCD protected - they dropped that idea but decided that in-practice-universal RCD protection should stay.

Sorry if I'm being thick, I will try not to ask any more questions.

It's not a case of being thick (as you put it), you just aren't sure so you're asking here. Don't worry about that, we're more than happy to help with anything you're unsure about.

Ask away... :)

Sponsored Links
I wonder if he used an RCBO for the lights ?

Could you have a look at your CU and see in the MCB for the lights has a little test button.

A picture speaks a thousand words.

I will check next time I'm there, but I'm pretty sure he didnt. I also need to check the certificate he gave us, I'm sure he quoted an earlier standard on that (now that I know what standard is current).

Can he choose to do the work to an ealier standard, and is there anything I can do about it.

Thanks again

ALL installations (that started after 1-7-08) myst be done to the 7671 2008 17th standard.

If he started om 30-6-08 or before he could chose the standard due to there being an overlap period from 1-1-08.

If you really want to sort this before seeing him scan and post the EIC / certs and a picture of the CU, mains head and meter areas.

Went to look at the cu today, just to check what I said was right. The lighting circuit and immersion are on the non RCD protected side of the box, cooker and sockets are on the protected side. It looks like a single rcbo on the lights would bring it up to standard, but going to get the electrician to do that.

couldnt check the cert he gave us, my brother-in-law has that, will get a copy off him tomorrow.

Just 1 more question to you electricians, when you channel a wall, would you normally make good, inc fixing boxes to the wall.

Thanks again

Just 1 more question to you electricians, when you channel a wall, would you normally make good, inc fixing boxes to the wall.

Backboxes should be fixed but many electricians won't make good (me included) but that should be agreed before the work commences.

what the... I'm certain that I replied to this post about making good..

something funny is going on with the posts here..

ok, sorry its taken me time to get hold of the certificate he issued. Its produced using Amtech Power software (fasttest v6 - demonstration only). It says the work is carried out to BS7671:2001, ammended to March 2004.

The electrician says he is part P reg and his number is 138/1071, I don't know with who he is registered with (anybody recognise that numbering system).

Also we haven't had a completion certificate from the LABC - work was done Nov 2008.

I'm writing to him, asking to explain whats going on, if anyone can offer any more advice, it would be most appreciated.

Regards

This doesn't look good.

'Demonstration' software used (do Amtech even have demo versions available?)
Nothing to state which of the competent persons schemes they are registered with (Should have been on the certificate)
No completion certificate (should have received this months ago)

Any chance you can scan/take a photo of the installation certificate and post it here? (Cover over any names/addresses on it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back