What this cable use for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a clear out at work store room and we found a 50m reel of black cable/flex with 3 red core and g/y earth core, each 2.5mm.

What use is this for?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Probably for supplying 3-phase equipment, unusual to see 3 red cores though, normally it was Red Yellow & Blue but this may have been a special order cable, I may even be barking up the wrong tree alltogether!

Can we use it as a cable reel for power tools?
We thinking of fitting a metal socket x 4 and a RCD plug or something to plug in?

Testing to find the correct core at both end and steeving and marking the correct core and cut the unused core is the first thought we have.

Dan

Can we use it as a cable reel for power tools?
You could, but it isn't worth it.
There will be a spare core, assuming you use one red for line and one for neutral. The spare should be connected to earth, not cut off.
It will be pretty much impossible to fit this cable into a normal plug.
Then there is buying the sockets and plug for the end, plus you will need a reel to wind it onto. Someone will have to put all the parts together and it will need to be tested before use.

Or you could just buy this item for £30, already assembled and tested.

Sponsored Links
Testing to find the correct core at both end and steeving and marking the correct core and cut the unused core is the first thought we have.

Dan

starting at earth, the red cores will be clockwise one end,
and at the other end anti clockwise from the earth, are the same red cores

We have the metal socket, found in store room, along with cable clamp.

Good point about getting in plug.....hmm.

Maybe fit a blue plug like the one in caravan.... and fit a short flex to plug.

Dan

starting at earth, the red cores will be clockwise one end,
and at the other end anti clockwise from the earth, are the same red cores

Good tip. I will still have to test it to make sure.

Didn't want to dump this good cable.

Dan.

May have been for use to wire Remote stop/ start button enclosures on machines.

Some ELV control wiring has an earth core in it.

You need to look for the following markings printed into or onto the cable "BASEC" and "300/500V"

Hi.

sorry for the delay.

I can just see the marking very faintly, a large font, 500v, all I can see, the rest is small font, hard to read.

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back