What timber to use for new garage doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to make a couple of timber doors for my garage, just wondering what timber would be best without being too expensive?
The opening is about 7ft x 7ft so need to factor in a frame too.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Joinery grade redwood. Frame in the same, although a more durable choice for the frame would be something like pitch pine or a tropical hardwood such as agba would be a better choice, albeit more expensive

Joinery grade redwood. Frame in the same, although a more durable choice for the frame would be something like pitch pine or a tropical hardwood such as agba would be a better choice, albeit more expensive
Thanks, are these readily available in the local builders yards?

Also what design is easiest? The existing doors had tongue and groove in the middle wrapped in a frame, not nailed onto the frame but within it so flush on the external side, I liked that design but think it might be a bit tricky to make as I have limited woodworking skills.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, are these readily available in the local builders yards?
The redwood should be, agba and pitch pine will depend on the merchant. A good merchant should be able to offer you a suitable timber if you state your requirements. Just avoid the big sheds!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back