Warped internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.

I made some bi-fold internal wardrobe doors, 4 of them in total, 380mm wide and about 7ft tall. I made them from 18mm MDF, and added an inch and a half or so timber frame to each one, for depth and for visual, using planed timber from B&Q that was out in the yard (not sure it was treated). I glued and recess screwed the frames in place.

I brought them in from my garage overnight, in the morning though they had all warped - I look at them from the side as they are all resting upright against a wall, and there is quite a big curve to them from top to bottom - side profile is like an arc!!

So basically I cannot use them as is - is it the timber frame that has caused this? I suspect it is. I took them back out to the garage and stacked them onto a couple of A frames and put a load of weight in the middle to try and straighten them - absolutely no joy. Presume there is no way of heat treating in some sort of clamp to straighten them is there? New frame? Start again? Firewood time?

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's a classic,your susspicions are correct the lamination of MDF and applied frame is out of balance ,a frame on each side would have balanced the lamination,I am not shure if this can be cured retro,let me know if you try it,I think this will have happened to us all in one form or another, at some time, to be honest

Thought as much, thanks. I will remove the frame as best as I can without completely knackering the MDF, and will see if the MDF corrects itself. If it does, I will make a thinner frame for both sides. If not, new MDF with framing each side....more money....doh...

you say bifold
are they on tracks if not i think you may have problems with the weight but time will tell

Sponsored Links
The problem was a damp garage and leaning them, should be stored flat in a dry warm room.Mdf does not like moisture, even without the frame they would have warped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back