What to ask sparky?

Yes, an 'interconnection' or 'bridge' is basically a ring within a ring.

If you draw out a 'ring' with say 8 sockets on it. then draw a cable containing two further socket (9 & 10) and connect this cable between socket no. 2 and socket no. 7, you end up with two rings - a ring within a ring.

The problem is, in the real world, the rings aren't gonna be all nice and even like the one you've drawn. There could be 2 meters between socket 1 & 2 and then 10 meters to socket 9 - if you get my drift. So the interconnection could actually run for 30 meters and form a bigger, second ring than the ring it was initially added to - does that make sense?
That would mean that the 'bridge' sockets could have a higher resistance than the ones on the original ring.

I think the point I am trying to make is, that to predict what the measurements are actually going to be is pretty difficult - it's more a case of take the measurements and predict what the problem is - if any :)

See, this is another problem:

... when I draw it out, it seems that if there is a bridge, and with both connector blocks cross-connected L/N at the CU, I thought I'd see a resistance equal to the resistance of the sockets that lie within (and before) the bridge, because the length of circuit is the same. Those sockets outside the bridge would be of a higher resistance?

You are seeing the sockets before your 'bridge' as having only the 'bridge' cable as part of their ring, but they also have the initial cable that forms the full ring - basically parallell conductors, so their resistance will actually be lower than the sockets on the 'bridge'.

BUT, this depends on conductor lengths etc etc - like I say, hard to predict.

It's not a hard and fast rule of saying ..yeh, they'll be higher or ..they'll be lower :)

:eek: I'm getting myself all confused now - feel a headache coming :LOL:

Sponsored Links
this made for interesting reading thanks :)
i have tested some of the work i did to ensure it was on the ring in the first place for continuity just to make sure i had it correct nice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back