What to do about planning for block paved driveway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a cul de sac and have a drive (currently gravelled) of approx. 25sqM. There are 20odd houses in the street, only 6 were built with a concrete drive, the rest originated as front gardens - approx 6 have been converted to driveways and only 2 of them are CBP - the rest being gravel.

I've checked planning webpages and if I understand correctly; you need planning permission for block paving a drive over 5sqM if the water is not directed to a natural soak-away and to the sewer.

What is the likelyhood of refusal?

We live in the fens so drainage is good and our village has never been flooded anywhere.

We need a soak away irrospective of planning as althought the drive is only 5m long, it does drop towards the house, so water will accumilate outside the kitchen window and front door. There is a drain (currently used by the sink/dishwasher/washing machine waste) right where the water would sit and would be easiest to run the soakaway across the front of the house into this; which goes into the drain the houses guttering uses (which I assume is also the sewer).

However, I just called the council and the planning fee is £150... time is an issue as Im trying to get stuff done asap... and there is always the chance they'll say no.

So Im wondering whether its best to bite the bullit, save the £150 fee and run a through the back garden to the ditch... or take a chance they may sort the application quickly and use the ideally placed drain out front, which will save agro of digging 18mtr trench.

Any experiences or advise?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They will not let you drain into the mains unless there is no other option. As it sounds like a soakaway would not be a problem and your reason for draining into the mains is to save yourself a bit of agro they'll be unlikely to give permission. They will not sort it quicker than 8 weeks.

Ok... so applying for permission is a waste of time then, as they would grant permission based on me digging a drain to take the rainwater from my driveway to the ditch out the back of my house.

£150 wasted! which should be invested in a mini-digger!

I've checked planning webpages and if I understand correctly; you need planning permission for block paving a drive over 5sqM if the water is not directed to a natural soak-away and to the sewer.

This is a quote from the PP...

"You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not provide for the water to run to a permeable area"

So if you're wanting to tarmac/concrete your drive, which is more than 5 sq.m, then you will need planning permission. If you lay down gravel, (porous) block paving, etc... then planning permission will not be required... no matter how big the drive is.

If you have submitted an application and it's still being validated, then you should be able to withdraw it and have the fee returned. However, if the application is in the process of being decided, then you can still withdraw it... but you may find the fee will not be returned.

Sponsored Links
So if you're wanting to tarmac/concrete your drive, which is more than 5 sq.m, then you will need planning permission.
Not strictly true DD, you can do a 1000m² of impermeable concrete provided you drain it onto your own land.

If you lay down gravel, (porous) block paving, etc... then planning permission will not be required... no matter how big the drive is.

I was planning to use Marshalls Tegula which is available in porous and traditional blocks... but the porous stuff states professional fitting is required.

Now I've only done a little block paving in my time, and wouldn't say you need to be a rocket scientist to lay a small area, provided you know what prep to do... so I did wonder what would make it so difficult it required professional fitting...

From the pics on the Marshalls website... Im also not so sure the porous stuff looks as nice - gaps are quite large, and the pic is of a large drive - so may look worse on a small area...

http://www.marshalls.co.uk/transfor...ivesett-tegula-range/drivesett-tegula-priora/

heeelllooo alexsp

if your soil wont absorb all the extra water you will need a underground soak away
a soak away is a purpose build pit filled with large then smaller stones /rubble then a filter membrane covered usually with grass

the water filters through and into your soil it doesn't enter the sewers or storm drains

Many things are not difficult if you know how! You're probably better off in the Gardening Section if you now have questions about particular choices of paviours or methods of installation.

Many things are not difficult if you know how!

absolutly not takin away anything from the block pavers out there, if I knew it all I wouldn't be on here asking questions.

what I intend to do is small and basic in design... anything larger or more elaborate in design I'd get a pro in ;)

if your soil wont absorb all the extra water you will need a underground soak away
a soak away is a purpose build pit filled with large then smaller stones /rubble then a filter membrane covered usually with grass

the water filters through and into your soil it doesn't enter the sewers or storm drains

There is a ditch which borders the bottom of my garden and a farmers field, Ive never seen any water in it so I guess it has good absorption - can I just drain to this, its not linked to any sewer or drain.

There is a ditch which borders the bottom of my garden and a farmers field, Ive never seen any water in it so I guess it has good absorption - can I just drain to this, its not linked to any sewer or drain.

you would have to go and ask the landowner otherwise its trespass to shed your water onto his land

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back