Planning permission for block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We want to block pave over our front garden, and I'm a bit unsure whether we need to involve the LABC. Am i right in thinking that a gravel bed/narrow flowerbed along the lower edge of the drive will be enough to drain rainwater, or is even this uneccessary?
Does standard block paving laid on a sand/hardcore base constitute a permeable surface? Am I just looking too deep into this??? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I would recommend you contact your local planning dept at your council and get it from the horses mouth so to speak, I believe a new area of more than 5m2 requires planning permission.

This all turns on whether the paving is permeable. In an appeal decision I read the other day the inspector said that the blocks were but that an aggregate supplier had confirmed that compacted type one sub-base was not. He tested the paving on site with a hose pipe and noted that water did not immediately drain away. So the appeal was dismissed.

Of course that only applies to areas of more than 5m².

I don't believe that any paving can remain permeable for a prolonged period of time as nature will clog it up.

The only thing that will stay permeable is frequently raked/disturbed deep gravel or an area with 'growing matter', i.e grass etc.

Sponsored Links
most councils will not count block paving as permeable unless it is one of the specifically designed types with the permeable sub-base system. All they are worried about is that the water does not drain onto the highway. They dont seem to give a stuff if you end up with a swimming pool in the front garden!

Im still surprised at the number of installations i see done without any drainage

In an appeal decision I read the other day the inspector said that the blocks were but that an aggregate supplier had confirmed that compacted type one sub-base was not. He tested the paving on site with a hose pipe and noted that water did not immediately drain away. So the appeal was dismissed.

I read that too. Was that in the Building magazine?

Ive seen many mot sub bases fail to drain water. Once compact and 'weathered' for a while, an mot base will form puddles in the depressions.

As Thermo has stated the only way to drain successfully is with a lot of hard work and proper drainage.

yes but customers dont want to pay for that do they! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back