What to do after the mist coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've mist coated the bare plaster in the room I am working on. I used Leyland trade matt and watered it down 80/20.

Here is how the room looks now (note the picture was taken in artificial light).

20210131_193203.jpg

Will give it a bit of a flat down with some sand paper and am now wondering the best course of action:

1. Retail matt from one of the sheds

Must admit I used Dulux retail matt emulsion in the room I painted before this and I was not impressed. It is still not opaque in places even after 3 coats. The carpet is down now so too late to do anything about it. Will have to revisit in a few years.

2. Trade Vinyl Matt

I spoke to my local Johnstone's decorator centre and they said it was fine to use their trade vinyl matt on mist coated walls. I'd also assumed anecdotally that it would peal so I'm a bit cautious about using it.

Certain the Johnstone's website says the paint is suitable for this application and can be watered down 90/10 for use on new plaster.

Perhaps option 2 with the first coat watered down 90/10 is the best solution?

Would welcome some advice on the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I used Dulux Trade Supermatt on a freshly plastered room recently and it was great.

Even after thinning 70/30, it covered beautifully. We did two thinned coats, followed by two "neat" coats on top.

Beautiful opacity!

Thanks for the info. Just checking the prices of it online - pretty expensive stuff!

Currently £65 for 10 litres at The Paint Shed.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. I think because I wanted it tinted it's more money. Can see the white version of it now on the Wickes's website now for £38.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back