What to do for hall concrete floor slab preparation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm lifting up some original stone floor slabs in my houses hall, they did also have a screed and tiles on top of them but i lifted those a few weeks ago. My intension is to lay a victorian style tiled floor in their place. Please see picture:

40000_39785_64966_68732574_thumb.jpg

What do i need to do to the floor to prepare it for the tiles?

I think its mainly sand underneath the stone slabs - does this need digging out and hardcoding? Picture:

40000_39785_64968_44118571_thumb.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
If it's firm enough, and the levels work out ok, you could risk it. How much depth do you have to play with once the slabs are up?

Thanks for the reply,

Once the slabs are up I recon the depth will be around 6inches.

If i have to hardcore it - how deep should i go?

Ok so i'm going to take up the slabs and then hardcore and concrete. People have mentioned that i could just screed onto the hardcore and DPC. Would this work? Or would it be too weak and possibly crack at a later date?

Olly

Sponsored Links
Suggest that you read up on pouring concrete floors on here.

If you are intending to replicate Victorian tile sizes and colour patterns then you are going into a large material outlay: check out "Original Style" Victorian patterns, and then check out the prices.

For such an outlay a proper sub- base is required.

DIY'ers often find that setting out such intricate work is beyond them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back