What to do over this wood surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all :)

About to get a house completely re-plastered and on one of the walls it sounded hollow. Under the lining paper I have discovered what appears to be some sort of wood, perhaps MDF (it's not shiny or anything, doesn't appear to be a finish product), and I get the impression that this makes up the wall, as opposed it being on top of anything else (plasterboard or whatever), although I can't be sure until I have dug further.

Here is a picture:

I'm guessing you can't skim over this product so what would you guys recommend I do in preparation? I intend to remove the lining paper as best as I can, then I'm not sure. I'm thinking

1) Remove the stuff completely, put new plasterboards in (it must be screwed in to something so I assume there will be adequate battens)

or

2) Overboard the whole thing. Would save having to remove it and the lining paper.

I would really appreciate some advice on this, and perhaps a name for the product so I can research it further myself (I've never seen a wall covered in it).

Sponsored Links
If it's well fixed to the battens, then overboard it. Locate and mark the battens/studs underneath the "board", then screw some new plasterboard to them, either 9.5mm or 12.5 mm. Once fitted, either tape and fill, or skim.. If there are sockets in the wall then you might need a sparky, plus, maybe a new length of skirting. Quite a straightforward job overall.

I agree with the above.

However, is this an interior or an exterior wall?

Perhaps more investigations before doing anything else.

If you can locate screws or fixings perhaps pull one of the boards & investigate. Or, removing the skirting often tells a tale

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated.

It is an interior wall, one side is the living room and the other is the side of the stairs. I am replacing all the skirting/plugs etc so that's not a problem.

I will look in to it further and update this thread if I find anything troubling, but thanks for the advice so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back