What to do - Plumbers cause leak . .ceiling sodden

Update - contacted the plumber via email and said that I would hold off paying the invoice until the insurance company had filed a report, agreed the scope of the work and that it had been completed.

Plumber said that I wasnt 'being fair' in witholding payment. Provided him with the link to this thread as i mentioned that i was basing my decision on the advice i got from you guys in the trade. So more than likely he will take a look here at what is being said.

Just to reiterate, as i mentioned in a previous message, the work on the bathrooms is very good and no complaints about the standard of finish or the professional conduct of the guys doing the job.

However I think, based on what you guys are telling me and from the advice my own insurers have given, that i am being fair in delaying settlement of the invoice since the damage caused has effectively increased the scope of the job. When it is complete i have no quarms about paying.

Sponsored Links
With the benefit of hindsight, I think that your plumber did not deal with the actual event very well.

If it was an existing fitting that caused the problem then that is hardly his fault! He should have taken photos of the cause so that is well documented and should have shown it to you and explained the situation then you could have claimed off your house insurance. Instead it seems he covered it all up without showing you. Perhaps it was his joint for all we know!

He should have also advised you that it would be better to replace the old fittings. Of course customers often dont want to agree to any extra costs.

Obviously from the standard of his work, he is a very good plumber and in reality these things do happen sometimes. However, he is not a professional loss adjuster and in the heat of the moment people dont always do the right thing. Airline pilots often respond wrongly when something goes wrong and that is the cause of many plane crashes.

Tony

An insurance person would look at the claim and approve the claim on the spot, clearly something is not right.

As I said insurance company's have a reputation for trying to get out of their liabilities, the best one is the client getting the damage repaired before the insurance has agreed in writing to pay, I'm sure it's why they hang it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back