What to do with gap between skirting board and pine floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had my floorboards stripped and varnished and they look great. I've put new skirting on, but as the floors are 120 years old and not perfectly flat I've got gaps of a few mms in places. What do people normally do with these? Fill or ignore?

Sponsored Links
it's a bit long winded but if you are that fussy you could have scribed the skirting to the floor. an easier fix would be to fit some scocia or quater round moulding to the bottom of the skirting.

You could fit a small cover moulding or quadrant. Fix it to the skirting but not the floor to allow movement.

Sponsored Links
matching coloured silicone sealer,will stop draughts and allow movement.

If your skirting is 4/5 inches high you can lay a short plank on top of it and kneel or get someone else to stand on it whilst fixing, to push it down to the floor. If it is more than 5 inch this is hard to do and if it's already been fixed then it has to be removed, de-nailed or screws out and re- fitted. I gather this is pine skirting we're talking about ?? if it is MDF then 7 inch will also bend in this way.
Colour fill is water based and shrinks and looks naff generally..

matching coloured silicone sealer,will stop draughts and allow movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back