What to do with this ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20150818_185023.jpg
Hi guys sorry about the poor photo. I've just bought a house with this "dungeon" like ceiling? My initial thought was "rip it out" but was just seeing if anyone had any better ideas or experience where this look is actually pulled off?

Sponsored Links
It's not a poor photo.

Looks like someone's painted over wooden effect ceiling. Depends on your decorative taste I guess?

If you have the time, and long ladders, and a few basic tools, you could emphasis the design and create
A focus point on the ceiling.

Two of many ideas...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
I've seen similar ceilings around here, but its actually been particle board and the laths have just covered the joins......presumably someones bright idea of insulation.
If you don't like what you have, a plasterer can board over and skim in no time.
John :)

Its called a Fretwork Ceiling. In your case its the most simple kind of fretwork fixed up to the joists and noggins. Could be from when the early plaster board was introduced in smaller sheet dimensions than nowadays. The laths would cover all the edge joins.

Some pre 1914 "middle class" houses had Fretwork ceilings, and bits of repeat fretwork patterns on porches and arches.
Its derived from the elaborate stonework vaulted ribs and groins of medieval churches - hence the possible gloomy effect.
With a bit of painterly multi-colored imagination it can be made a great feature in a room.

Sometimes elaborate timber, or bench run decorative plaster, fretwork is assembled below, and raised up in one piece or handleable sections.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back