What to do with this side passageway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We have pretty pathetic storage options for our garden paraphernalia and am looking at the idea of converting our spare side passageway (we have two) into some sort of storage area. Please see attached image.

The gap is roughly 1.1m.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is possible? Could I erect a brick lean to with a door?

Attachments

• D28D0703-D71E-4A85-9608-E15775E1AFB6.jpeg
    D28D0703-D71E-4A85-9608-E15775E1AFB6.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 3,548
Sponsored Links
I have a similar space but twice the width so it can still be used as a passage. The original owner put in a lean to but with the corrugated roof lengthwise so water does not drain over the fence. Short bit of gutter at low end.

from a neigbourly point off view
you roof needs to terminate on your side and also catch any water and direct to your side
so the easiest option off up to and over the fence is out
is the fence yours or theres ??

from a neigbourly point off view
you roof needs to terminate on your side and also catch any water and direct to your side
so the easiest option off up to and over the fence is out
is the fence yours or theres ??

The fence belongs to my neighbour.

Sponsored Links
officially you cannot connect to it so would need a separate structure that can touch but not be connected to assuming the face is the boundary

How did you get on with this?

I’ve got the same sort of space to fill about 4 m in length. I’m looking at a timber frame to support a polycarbonate roof and a framed gate/door each end and the tops finished/made good with facia.

I don’t have a fence just the neighbouring house external wall but the space is all mine.

Getting someone in to to the work is my problem!

As stated above, you need to have a run off in line with your house wall.
A batten fixed to your house running at an angle no more than one brick course would be sufficient. Next build a wooden framework for the opposite side with a same angled batten at the top. It may be prudent to board the outer side before lifting the frame into position or you can board it from the inside if you are against a neighbours fence/wall. Depending on the length you will need cross braces to the batten on the house wall and at ground level, thereby creating box like structure. Fit your cross braces at set distances to give the polycarbonate roof good support. If you are making it long enough to need two or more sheets lengthwise then start at the lower end and overlap the next sheets by at least 150mm Work up the side nearest the house first, installing flashing tape to the house wall and poly surface to prevent rain ingress, and then complete by fitting the left hand, (outer), sheets by working from outside the structure, asking your neighbour for permission to set your ladders on his land whilst you do so.
If you neighbour refuse simply use shorter lengths of poly so you can secure it from both ends finally finishing the last sheet from inside your own property at the high end. Fit a frame each end to mount your doors/windows and also fit a short length of guttering/downspout to the lower end.

How did you get on with this?

I’ve got the same sort of space to fill about 4 m in length. I’m looking at a timber frame to support a polycarbonate roof and a framed gate/door each end and the tops finished/made good with facia.

I don’t have a fence just the neighbouring house external wall but the space is all mine.

Getting someone in to to the work is my problem!

In the end, I’ve decided not to proceed with this. We’ve decided to build a bigger shed in another part of our garden.

I’d still be interested in seeing your final build if you do go ahead with this though!

@conny that’s a great response not sure if it’s aimed at me or the OP but it’s really helpful. I know what needs doing in my head and it’s really helpful to see it set out like you have above but it’s beyond my skills and time. Hoping to get a few quotes for someone to complete the work for me - any rough costings on that kind of work?

@PipeDownSoldier - that’s a shame was hoping to see yours - mine must be done so will post a pic or two when it’s finally completed.

It was aimed at both of you to be honest Steve.
Just trying to help because many years ago when I did something similar the internet wasn't around. This meant I had to glean information from books and picking peoples brains, LOL. I made a few mistakes along the way but learnt from them.
I've no idea of costs to be honest because mine was over 30 years ago but I would be surprised if it came in at over £1,000 to supply and construct. I haven't mentioned anything about the internal floor bear in mind so depending how you wanted to do this would need considering. If it was simply for storage I'd do something like a basic shed floor on some stretchers.

Thanks - considering loads of houses (round here in West Mids anyway) have these there’s a surprising lack of information about them still 30 years later!

I was expecting to pay a bit more than a grand so I would be happy if it is around that figure.

Not sure about a floor - it’s going to be used as side access so will get a bit of traffic. Was thinking that any upright timbers would have to be put in in sleeves/sockets and cross bracing done at the higher level. And then pave or gravel the floor area.

I’ve got a roofer coming to have a look at the weekend so hopefully he’ll have some ideas.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back