What to do with this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in the process of removing a kitchen in order to fit a new one, this wall was tiled in places and had a couple of units stuck to it, the idea is to brick up the serving hatch tomorrow.

My question is, what would you guys reccomend was done to the wall in order to sort it out, bearing in mind all but the last 80cm will be covered in units.

PA120016.jpg

PA120017.jpg

Sponsored Links
It not clear from the photo’s but is there either a render/base plaster base beneath the finishing plaster? The Photo looks as if it’s been skimmed directly onto brick!

Assuming it hasn’t, I would:
• Brick up the serving hatch flush with the surrounding wall.
• Use Hardwall or possibly Bonding plaster over the brick to fill out level & flush with the surrounding plaster.
• Rough fill any larger holes where the finishing plaster has come away; don’t worry about the gouges.
• Prep & re-skim the whole wall; it’s just as easy as trying to patch & blend in or plaster down to a line where the units would be.

if you can plaster go with richard but if not remove the skirting and dab it its only 3 8x4s and skim then bang the skirtin back on.

Put a stud frame in the opening get the wall paper off dot and dab the whole wall the skim over...Job done...If your not going to see most of the wall tape the joints with easi-fill and paint or paper or tile what you can see ;)

Sponsored Links
Not sure what exactly the original stuff is, its pretty crumbly in places, looks like 4 different textures of plaster on the wall.

I am unable to plaster (Have not tried yet!) but I did/am considering boarding the wall, I have a mate who is a bricklayer who is also a fairly good plasterer, he is going to have a look at it tonight.

Will using boards be ok if I am to fit wall units to the wall also, I assume i would just need to use longer that normal raul plugs so it reaches as far as the brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back