What to expect from getting house wired with cat6

No, use patch leads. The ends should be terminated to sockets at one end & the panel at the other. The ping command is pretty pointless, a continuity test will be no better.
I wouldn't use Ping. I can't recall the name of the utility I have, but you run it in server mode in a CMD prompt on one machine, and client mode in a CMD prompt on the other. When on PC I will see what it's called.

Sponsored Links
If you have two laptops, you can use them to do a simple speed test, with some small command line software on each. It won't do the full detailed tests that a network analyzer would do, but you really don't need that for a home.
Indeed - but wouldn't one have to put plugs on all the cables to that reasonably?

Kind Regards, John
I was replying to the OP who suggested he was thinking of getting tested by a company. I suggested a way for him to do it.

You want to use something like iPerf to test the link. However this isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a proper test using something like fluke test kit.

But the question is if you find a fault are you going to get the electrician back in to rectify? and will they be able to rectify satisfactory and who will pay for the retest?

I get involved with a lot of new builds and refurbs (all business properties) my predecessor used to get the local electrician to do the CAT install, I'm still finding faults in the cabling years down the line.

Since instructing proper cabling engineers to do the complete work and testing we have not come across a single fault on any of the new sites.

I was replying to the OP who suggested he was thinking of getting tested by a company. I suggested a way for him to do it.
I realise that - but I thought it had already been agreed that there's no point in putting plugs on the ends of the cables if they are to be connected to a patch panel? Maybe I misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
pan8-2-large.jpg
I realise that - but I thought it had already been agreed that there's no point in putting plugs on the ends of the cables if they are to be connected to a patch panel? Maybe I misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John
Unless it is the coupler type patch panel.

Cheers all. So I found my punch down tool and repunched all the sockets on the wall plate that had 3 of the 4 sockets failing with the continuity tool and now all cores connect, and I have tested streaming 1080P HD down 2 of them. I think I am going to wire the patch panel myself and use jperf to get an initial basic idea of what I am dealing with, ie are transfer rates 50, 200, 500 Mbps. I could also get a professional to test if there are discrepancies with the different cables in each room.
Its one of the reasons I ran 4 to each one to give myself some redundancy, there are only a couple of rooms where I need 4 as for most 1 or 2 will be max I will use, and most for streaming some music or web surfing it doesnt matter too much on the speed. However some I will want to distribute HD over and some for very fast connection to a dual gigabit NAS so would like to know if one cable in a room is better than the others, I should plug into that.
Unless the cables are physically broken in the walls I think its unlikely the electrician will ever agree to come back, rip them out, relay, plaster and paint, but if its connections then that can be fixed, or I use another socket.

Kind Regards, John
What has plugs got to do with testing?

Most laptops have 8P8C sockets for accessing their NICs, so cables with 8P8C plugs on are dead handy.

Most laptops have 8P8C sockets for accessing their NICs, so cables with 8P8C plugs on are dead handy.

I believe that's also why they manufacturer those pre terminated patch leads for use with those patch panels.
Or indeed outlets. Maybe BAS isn't quite the know all he pretends to be. Still waiting for an answer to his previous post.

What has plugs got to do with testing?
Quite a lot, I would have thought, if the 'testing' in question requires both ends of the cable to be connected to laptops - or is there some way of making those connections that I have overlooked?

Kind Regards, John

You know what's happened here - it's the *^&#@ing useless way this new site displays topics where posts are made which start before subsequent ones but end after them.

When I started typing this post //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/w...se-wired-with-cat6.437288/page-2#post-3411401 you had not finished typing the one you quote above, which was made at 14:43.

But the way the site works is that after I had clicked Post Reply, it showed me the topic as it was at the time I started my reply, plus my reply as the latest post - yours of 14:43 wasn't there. I know this must be what happened as I've observed it before, and twice (I think) I've got part way through documenting it as a problem before deciding "WTF - it's not that important".

But I hadn't realised how insidious the problem really is...

We were into p2 of the topic, i.e. posts 16-30.

I started replying to post #28, which at the time was the last one in the thread.

Whilst I was typing it, you added post #29. But when I clicked Post Reply, what I saw was a page ending with #28 followed by my reply. But because my reply was posted after #29, the system seems to assume I must have seen #29, mine became #30, and when I visited the thread subsequently I was taken to p3 on account of that assumption, so I never saw the post which you are "accusing" me of "ducking".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back