What to expect from getting house wired with cat6

Whilst I was typing it, you added post #29. But when I clicked Post Reply, what I saw was a page ending with #28 followed by my reply. But because my reply was posted after #29, the system seems to assume I must have seen #29, mine became #30, and when I visited the thread subsequently I was taken to p3 on account of that assumption, so I never saw the post which you are "accusing" me of "ducking".
That all sounds credible, given the behaviour of the forum software. Given that you clearly have now seen the post you were accused of 'ducking', I presume that others must be waiting with bated breath for your reply :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What time would you expect this to take over a PERFECT fully certified connection?
I'd expect it to tale line speed less all the overheads. Let's not assume jumbo frames, or IPv6, so I'd expect to see an overhead of around 10-20% all told, so a 1Gb link should deliver an end-user throughput of 800-900Mb/s. If you want to quibble about small variations from that, go ahead.

So 500Gb at 800-900Mb/s ≈ 9.5 - 10.5 minutes. OK - you've got to get the data off of one disk and into another, but a 7200rpm HDD has a raw transfer rate of around 1Gb/s, so in the ballpark for the network pipe, obfuscated by fragmentation, buffering at multiple levels, and so on.

If the transfer takes significantly more than around 10 minutes one needs to look into why.

I disagree that the test will tell you nothing.

I also agree that if I had £1 for every non-trivial/intractable performance problem I'd ever encountered I would now be retired.

Sponsored Links
Not really. But i do know you know nothing about the subject. That coupled with the fact you try to belittle so many questions on here tells me one thing. You are a prick. A sad little prick at that. Perhaps you should start talking **** about down lights? Another subject that you small brain cant cope with.

Please explain what ipv6 has to to do with this?

Last edited:
And all this because I dared to challenge the assertion that a 10 minute transfer over a network connection would tell you nothing about the health of the connection.

Good job we have you here, isn't it.

No. You talk **** on so many threads. You make new members feel like dicks. You remind me of the "clever" science teacher at school.... knows nothing. Your post count says it all. Try to be clever but really know not much. If your network transfers 500gb in 10 mins that's good. Read up and you may learn why.

No what?

No to "Good job we have you here"?

Or no to "And all this because I dared to challenge the assertion that a 10 minute transfer over a network connection would tell you nothing about the health of the connection."?

You talk **** on so many threads.
Your judgement could well be suspect.

You make new members feel like dicks.
Not only new ones. Any member who is a dick is eligible, irrespective of length of membership.

You remind me of the "clever" science teacher at school.... knows nothing.
So you keep saying. You remind me of someone who must be right.

Your post count says it all.
Of course it does.

But as a favour to those not so intellectually gifted as you and I, please provide the intelligent, rational explanation of why my post count proves that I know nothing, as I fear not everybody will understand.

Try to be clever
Not really.

but really know not much.
If you say so.

If your network transfers 500gb in 10 mins that's good
And what if it takes 100 minutes? Or 10 hours? Or 10 days? Is that also good?

Assuming you have one. Which is doubtful. Your life must be spent on here. You are good for a laugh though. Try to be clever but obvious you are in fact.. ..stupid. more stupid than a big bag of stupid things with a big sticker saying stupid.

What has plugs got to do with testing?
Quite a lot, I would have thought, if the 'testing' in question requires both ends of the cable to be connected to laptops - or is there some way of making those connections that I have overlooked?

Kind Regards, John
Why would you test something unless it was finished? You're testing the cable and terminations. Put a plug on to test, see it works, then chop the plug off? That's pointless. Terminate it all and then test. Don't put plugs on temporarily.

You were going on about plugs when the OP had said he was going to fit the patch panel and then get it tested. That's why I keep saying "why plugs" when people keeping banging on about them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back