What to expect in terms of quality work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have just used a Chippy to install worktops and am concerned about the quality of the work done. Brief was to install a horseshoe worktop with island to the right hand side, cut and fit end panels and backboard, and fit additional straight worktop in the utility area.

Concerns were raised as in doing the cutout for the sink, he split the centrepost in the unit and cut the front support brace so badly it had to be reinforced with a corner bracket on one side.

I've attached pictures of the cutout for the hob - customer is concerned that the cutout was done in situ and he has delaminated the base unit at the rear, and cut the front support which didn't need to be cut.

Can anyone advise me as to how acceptable this is? He was paid £600 for the job which he did in one day (a 12 hour day!).

Trying to decide how to proceed on this. He's going to make good the base unit and a replacement carcass is on the way, just trying to decide about the hob unit.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When I used to run teams of kitchen fitters it was quite common for the cutouts to be done in situ. One reason being the risk of the worktop breaking at the cutout if it was done off-unit and then manoeuvred back into place, due to the considerable reduction in strength as a result of the cutout.

Whether the customer is being picky about the grazing of the base unit is a moot point, as it wouldn't be seen when the hob is fitted, but I know that doesn't make it right.

That seems fair enough.

I suppose then that the next question is whether the amount of grazing etc is acceptable / usual or whether this is too much of a hack.

Iain

Well, it seems a bit of a hack job, but why does it matter?

You can't see it, he's strenghtened what he broke.

Unless I am missing something here, seems one of those times you should just move on and accept it.

Sponsored Links
The edge will need sealing any way so the cabinet side can be coated at the same time, looks like very little clearance there so he has cut as close as he can. Wouldn't worry me personally.

Nope - you aren't missing anything. All I wanted to establish is whether I'm now dealing with over sensitivity because of the attempt to hide the damage to the sink unit (he is remediating that) or whether there are genuine concerns.

Hence the question as to whether the cuts to the hob unit would be considered usual or not.

Just canvassing some opinions!

Thanks all for your feedback so far.

OP hasn't made clear if £600 was for labour only, or included the worktops and end panels?

Well, we've agreed some remedials, so looks like all will be well. The main thing is that the worktop joins are good - the bits and pieces can be sorted out without too much delay to the project.

Thanks all for your opinions.

Sponsored Links
Back