Cooker hood distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, we are having an extension built in august and having a lovely new kitchen. I'm under a tight budget so haven taken on the design of the kitchen myself, I'm going for ikea, have used them before and are a good quality kitchen at an acceptable price (just the units). From a design perspective I have bounced around on where to put the hob and have finally decided to put it up against the main wall between tall units 2280mm high. I have a space of 1600mm for the hob and have put in 400mm, 800mm, 400mm base unites 900mm high including worktop (Roughly). Now I'm not a fan of the look the chimney hoods give, I wanted a look as if a square had been cut out (nice splash back at the back and up the sides of the tall units. The wall units I used were a 400mm wide wall unit with a 600mm depth either side of a 800mm wide unit that's only 400mm in depth ( the plan is to build a box at the back so I can pull this level with the tall units and the 400mm units either side and put a built in extractor inside the 800mm unit. This will give me the clean cut look I want however this will leave a gap slightly under a metre from the base of the cooker hood to the hob below it. Would this be acceptable? I can only find a minimum standard of 650mm to 750mm based on what kind of hob you use, I'm going for induction. Because I have pulled the units forward level with the tall units for the look I want I can't make them any lower than they currently are, at the level I'm proposing they won't get in my way at all and I'm just over 6ft. If the distance is to great I will have to drop them back but would prefer to avoid doing this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the long post.

Sponsored Links
That was difficult to follow.

650mm to 750mm is a minimum so slightly under a metre is surely alright.

That was difficult to follow. 650mm to 750mm is a minimum so slightly under a metre is surely alright.
As you say, it's quite hard to follow. However, looking just at his last sentence, I wonder if the OP is perhaps concerned that "slightly under a metre" might be too big a gap for satisfactory/optimal extraction?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have bounced around on where to put the hob and have finally decided to put it up against the main wall between tall units 2280mm high.

Very bad idea, you need counter space either side of the hob. I got lost trying to understand the rest of your post.

Hi mwatson,

Bottle of wine and I did ramble on. Apologies.

I will try and make it sound better. I have a space of 1600mm for a hob between tall units 2280mm high. The hob will be 600mm wide in a 800mm base unit with a 400mm wide base unit either side which will give me 500mm either side of the hob (I thought this would be plenty). Directly behind the hob will be an island with plenty of work space, I didn't want the hob on the island. I just wanted to know what the maximum distance the extractor can be from the hob, assuming I measurements are correct it will be around 980mm give or take 10mm but I can only find the minimum distance. By this I assume as long as I don't have the extractor below 600mm I should be ok?

I would want more than 500mm, and would also keep any tall units together, perhaps beside the fridge freezer. But its your choice.

Having read your op again. I think you intend lining up the fronts of the wall units with the front of the base units. This would mean you will be continuously banging your head on the door fronts and you won't be able to see the work surface, you will also have to step backwards when opening the wall unit doors.

Why not go to B&Q, wickes etc and get a free layout from their kitchen designers.

The extract height will be ok, but if you want the front of it in line with the wall units, you will have the problems I've already mentioned.

Yes, that's what I thought so repeated it was a "minimum".
Exactly - and, as I said, it appears that the OP is wanting to find a 'maximum' figure. The minimum presumably relates to safety, but the 'maximum' (which is more likely to be a guideline than a 'rule') would, I imagine, relate to functionality.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks guys, appreciate the response. I'm not concerned with banging my head. Already measured it and i won't bang my head, I will have a clear view of the hob and no obstruction. I was trying to see what the maximum height was and make sure that having a metre gap wouldn't be a big no no. It's not a final decision yet, we are trying to give ourselves clean lines and make it all look clean cut and symmetrical.

At the moment this is just an idea, have a kitchen fitter coming round soon to look at my options. I just couldn't find anything about the maximum height of an extractor.

I can't think of a reason why there would even be a 'maximum' height. o_O

In some sexy apartments I've been working in, the kitchens have got very high ceilings. They haven't got hoods as such, but rectangular extractor fans directly above the hob sunken into the (high) ceiling ... and I mean high.

Not saying it's the optimum position, but then again I've not heard anyone say that they don't work.

I can't think of a reason why there would even be a 'maximum' height. o_O
As I've said, whilst there obviously are no safety reasons for a maximum, one imagines that the effectiveness of extraction of the 'cooking smells' and steam etc. will decrease as the distance from hob to extractor hood increases. However, as you imply I doubt that it is a major issue (unless the distances get ridiculous).

A friend of mine lives in a 'chapel conversion', the kitchen of which must be at least 6 metres high. I doubt that an extractor hood near the 'ceiling' (roof, really!) would have the desired effect!

Kind Regards, John

My hood unit (the actual extractor surface is recessed slightly higher) is 62cm from the pan stands on my gas hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back