What to put behind wood burning stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've had to remove my stove to replace the boiler (the joys)! So I may as well repair the cracked and blown cement render that was behind it. I only have about 20mm space from the stove pipes to the render.

I'm not keen to re-do the render as it will probably crack again and I don't want to wait till it dries and paint it. Been long enough without the stove working.

I was thinking about a thin sheet of steel fixing it with some angle iron. Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
As you suggest, I suspect the cracks are due to the pipe being too close to the render, so I'm not sure if it'd do any good to put metal there either. Heat proof insulation board may be a better bet.

I was thinking the sheet of steel would just cover up the cracks and look nicer. I'll have a look at the insulation board.

Looks like it would be a bit of a squeeze as its 25mm thick.

This is a quick example, but you can get different sorts. Is it possible to bring the stove further out, and then maybe tile behind it. Can you post a picture.

Sponsored Links
Sorry having trouble with photos. Can't really move the stove due to the flue, pipework and hearth. Whats wrong with the steel idea?

Well I suppose the metal would spread the heat more evenly, but I wouldn't use angle iron. Just drill the 4 corners, and fit it straight to the back of the wall.

You'd normally be able to bring the stove out by inserting a couple of 45 bends to bring it forward, and you'd build the hearth out a little to deal with that. Bringing the stove more into the room, would also warm the room better. You really don't want the stove pipe that close to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back