what to put underneath the Laminate floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have laid a few laminate floors and always put that 7mm thick green stuff from B&Q, its a bit like compressed paper. It has alway been great, but now I am going to lay it in my hall downstairs which is very cold and full of drafts due to air bricks in the outside walls below floorboard level as is the case with many houses.

Now I have the laminate floor and green stuff but am wondering should I lay anything else down to insulate from the cold (there is quite a freezing draft coming through the gaps in the floorboards at the moment), ie a layer of something else or any other ideas. I don't want to put too much otherwise the floor will be so thick and I will have to trim loads off some of the doors.

Or does everybody think that that green stuff will be enough with the laminate on top? I was tempted to try and seal all the cracks first, but with what and is it worth it? Last time I tried this in the lounge under a rug I used silicon and lost loads down some of the bigger cracks before it started to seal. What about some sort of paper underlay maybe?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back