What to remove glue from UPVC with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed all the beading from the inside of the windows at it had been painted over and was generally manky. I've got all the sealant off with persistence and a scraper and scrubbing, but I can't get the glue off that was used to stick the beading on with.

Anyone got any ideas how to remove it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to be very careful which solvents you use on Pvc, as the surface finish can be marred easily. Is it a hard or soft glue? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
You have to be very careful which solvents you use on Pvc, as the surface finish can be marred easily. Is it a hard or soft glue? ...pinenot :)

It's rock sodding hard. Tried getting a scraper under it but it's not having it without scuffing the pvc. :(

Try sticking down paper masking tape either side of the glue line, allowing it to lap up on the glue a bit, make sure the edges of the tape are well rubbed down (perhaps there are other ways to achieve the same?) apply some acetone water down with 50% water to see if there's any melting effect.
If the answer is yes, adjust mix as you see fit taking off as much glue as poss. each time this is applied but don't go into the frame surface. Once you've gotten this far what's left of the glue will poss. come off using toothpaste and a wet sponge, just enough to produce a bit of lather.
The reason for using toothpaste it is mildly abrasive (enough to clean teeth) but will not mar most surfaces...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back