what to use for flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having an extension with a roof lantern, what is recommended for the roof covering? I have had prices for GRP, Polymer and also rubber. I have fitted a rubber roof in the past on a large workshop and found it easier enough to do. The roofers concerned for obvious reasons recommend the system they fit!

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
i have done both. firestone EPDM went on my garage, 11x4m and it Went down very easily, quick and no faffing. id buy the profiles if you go rubber. keep the deck dry

As for resin, my current roof on my extension is cureit GRP. cant fault the kit at all. It's definitly more tricky to do though and requires more effort and attention to detail. personally i didnt go with the rubber this time as i didnt fancy messing around with the corners on my skylight lantern.

it was really tricky but that was because of doing it in the worst of the weather, fighting to keep it dry and i had to use the extra cold stuff, but all turned out well. i cant see these upstands ever leaking! if you do it in ideal weather it's good stuff

if you go resin, definitly give cureit a look, they were really quick at answering questions too.

i cant say if ones better than the other, just the resin was harder. avoid in red hot sun or freezing weather like i had to do mine!!

I have also looked at a polymer system that is fitted in Norway, seems to have very good reviews.

Tradditional flat roofers are not very receptive to any new system, and yes those trained and committed to a particular system will tend to rubbish anything else for some reason.

I will only tend to specify EPDM nowadays for its longevity, lack of maintenance, looks, and IMO better performance than any other for almost all situations.

Sponsored Links
Tradditional flat roofers are not very receptive to any new system, and yes those trained and committed to a particular system will tend to rubbish anything else for some reason.

I will only tend to specify EPDM nowadays for its longevity, lack of maintenance, looks, and IMO better performance than any other for almost all situations.

Thanks for the reply the system I have seen is Protan Normal Roofing System - Protan But not sure if its any better then EPDM?

Are you having a green roof then?

I can't see much point in a ballast roof otherwise, complete waste of time and money

The EPDM and similar systems are probably a better bet for a large surface where there's little or no need for foot traffic on the roof. Advantages over GRP- you aren't creating a waterproof layer, you are glueing one down (GRP tales great attention to detail to avoid pinholes in the resin & topcoat). Rubber sheet seems not to cause the noise problems that GRP sometimes suffers from (all to do with the deck having to be rock solid for GRP). They both have a massive advantage over torched felt- no hot working required. GRP is probably better if you have fiddly details to work round (its a liquid with mat- you roller/brush it into whatever shape you fancy & let it cure (though you do need trims for upstands/downstands etc- the mat will do 'inside' angles OK, 'outside' angles less well.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back