What to with aerial cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new property and have an aerial cable with about a metre four more flex coming through the wall into the main bedroom.

I do not watch TV in the bedroom so do not need this.

What is the best and easiest way to remove it or to at least do something with it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you own the property or is it rented?

If you own it then you can do whatever you want with the cable. Personally, if space allows then I'd fit a pattress box and either coil some cable inside and cover with a blanking plate, or fit a screened signal socket.

For a rented property you'd better not do anything unless you have a landlord's permission - preferably in writing - unless you fancy losing your security deposit.

Do you own the property or is it rented?

If you own it then you can do whatever you want with the cable. Personally, if space allows then I'd fit a pattress box and either coil some cable inside and cover with a blanking plate, or fit a screened signal socket.

For a rented property you'd better not do anything unless you have a landlord's permission - preferably in writing - unless you fancy losing your security deposit.
Sorry, yes I do own it.

Could I cut the cable to my desired length and fit the signal socket box?

Yes, you can fit a backbox and faceplate to make it neater.
Or just cut it back and fit a female plug on it so an extension can be used if/when you do want to use it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can fit a backbox and faceplate to make it neater.
Or just cut it back and fit a female plug on it so an extension can be used if/when you do want to use it.
The backbox doesn't have to in the wall...?

no, it can be anywhere - leave it dangling if you wish - it's upto you.
If you have it on the window sill be aware that damp from condensation etc. can get into the socket so not the best location.

Sorry, yes I do own it.

Could I cut the cable to my desired length and fit the signal socket box?

IMO there's only two ways to deal with this. Either fit the pattress to the wall (ON the wall in case there's any remaining ambiguity here) then fit the faceplate of choice, or cut the cable off flush with the wall or even pull it back through the hole and fill each side with appropriately-coloured silicon sealant.

Don't bugger about cutting it off close to the wall and fitting a coax plug. It looks awful, like a dick sticking out of the wall, just embarrassing. Each time you get someone visiting, they'll be thinking "why's there a little dick sticking out of the wall?" :ROFLMAO: From an installer's point of view I can't do anything with that. When it comes time to reinstall a TV coax the little stub there is useless. It's impossible to do anything with it that isn't going to look like a dog's breakfast; either leave the cable as is or cut it off completely, none of this halfway-house procrastination rubbish.

The other option of fitting the pattress box on the end of a length of loose cable is just another waste of time. If you're not going to use the coax either get rid or coil it up and hide it behind the curtains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back