What tricks do you guys have for underfloor cabling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered that my gas meter is not earth bonded. I know that I need to run 10mm earth cable from the pipe on the house side of it to the earth point on the consumer unit. Ought to be fairly straightforward as the meter is in a cupboard at ground level in the porch and the CU under the stairs only about 4 metres away.
Floor is T&G boards on joists but on the line of the bottom of the stairs. So, I am wondering whether I can do this without lifting too many boards in the cramped space, around stairs and under newly fitted carpet.
So do you guys have little tricks for getting cable over short distances by lifting small sections of floorboard at each end?
A pet mouse with string tied to its tail perhaps? Some kind of long flexible wire? Endoscopic camera ?
All suggestions welcome.
Cheers John

Sponsored Links
They don't wear out, so one-off or 1000-off, they need to be the same quality if they are to be any good.

Sponsored Links
The ones I linked to are more for the (cheap end) pro market.

ToolStation, Screwfix etc. etc. sell similar. The draper ones would be ok for 'rare use'. Some of the cheaper ones are not as flexible and can split.
Google for cable rods (which sounds like you have!!) or cable access kit.

Are also handy as a lost TV remote control replacement device if your nerves are steady!!

Just discovered that my gas meter is not earth bonded.
Is your gas pipe metal?
Yes - all copper at the meter. No sign of any plastic connectors.
However, interestingly, I just noted that there is a connection to a lead gas pipe and tbh I am not sure what that branch supplies - will need to do a bit more investigation. Does that connection to lead piping mean I need to do anything different on the bonding. It is all copper pipe for a metre or so beyond the meter.
John

Need to run within 600mm** from where supply enters your property and before any joints or tee offs.

**ideally.

Borrow a set of drain rods.

Push a lot of string down through one access point, Keep both ends above the floor so it is a loop under the floor. A hook on the end of the rods can then be pushed towards the loop from the other access point to hook the string and pull it to access point two. Remember to only twist the rods in the direction that tightens them otherwise they will come apart under the floor boards.

Trunking lid is better for fishing under floor boards I find. Cable rods have their uses as well but you should get on better with trunking lid for what you plan to do IMHO

Not quite true that they don't wear out (though it takes a lot of time and use). They're made of glass fibre and after enough bending, shoving, pulling and scraping this starts to splinter. I've been scratched by a few glass fibres recently where they're starting to fracture. Still wouldn't be without them.

pj

Trunking lid is better for fishing under floor boards I find. Cable rods have their uses as well but you should get on better with trunking lid for what you plan to do IMHO
Thanks - will take a look at that as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back