WHAT TYPE OF BOILER DO I HAVE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im having a new kitchen extension and will also be replacing my boiler which is situated in a kitchen cupboard. Im working to a budget and am trying to source various items myself. I need a new boiler but dont know what type im looking for?? IM CONFUSED....! I know that my boiler is a THORN EMI APOLLO....the only numbers I can find without taking the main front off are 302C 108 Iss 03.....? All I know is that I have a large copper boiler tank in my spare room cupboard upstairs and I need to have the system on (which is on a timer) to heat the water and also central heating when required.... (I turn the radiators off in the summer, but in theory they are still on).....if anyone can offer any advice would be much appreciated.....

Many thanks
Cata

Sponsored Links
I know that my boiler is a THORN EMI APOLLO
Why do you want a new boiler?

If you expect the new boiler to save you loads of money, then forget it - it will take 10+ years to recover the cost of a new boiler, by which time the new boiler will need to be replaced anyway.

The old Thorn one will keep going for ever with minimal repair and maintenance.

Nothing up with old apollos getting on for 30 year old now but a very good boiler and parts still avialable.

But you have what is known as a heat only boiler . Its not a combi or a system boiler

Sponsored Links
you could save some money for a tiny investment by providing additional insulation to your hot-water cylinder and the pipes berween the boiler and cylinder.

If you do not already have a timer and a cylinder thermostat, add them. if you do not already have a wall thermostat, add one.

We don't know what controls you haver got.

Many thanks to you all for your replies...the boiler is 34 years old and up to now I have spent £250 over the last 5 years getting it repaired, its broke twice and the first time it was a small wire which was replaced the second time it was a more expensive part...I pay the same flat rate per call out no matter what the fault.

My concern is that at present the new kitchen will be built around the existing boiler which is quite small and should I have to get a new boiler I dont want to end up ripped out or having to adjust new cupboards.

Anyway, thanks for advice I may now consider waiting until it finally gives up.....

Thanks
Cata

I agree, if you're having a new kitchen now would be a good time to have a more efficient boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back