What type of cable do I need for .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to run an extension lead from my plug at the far side of the garage to the front. Rather than buy one that is the wrong length I thought I would buy the cable and a 2 way socket block to power a freezer and a dryer. This way I can have the extension the exact length I require.

What type of cable do I need for the extension?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why use an extension cable? Surely, it would be better to have fixed wiring and socket?

as above, something permanant would be better, but if you still want to go ahead with the extention lead then i'd say 16amp 1.5mm (i think it is) with a RCD breaker plugged into the existing socket would be a safe way round it

Why use an extension cable? Surely, it would be better to have fixed wiring and socket?

I originally wanted to do this and asked on this group if I could run a new socket from the existing one, BUT after more questions from this group it was determined that as the small consumer unit in the garage did not have an RCD it would be better to run an extension cable.

Sponsored Links

I originally wanted to do this and asked on this group if I could run a new socket from the existing one, BUT after more questions from this group it was determined that as the small consumer unit in the garage did not have an RCD it would be better to run an extension cable.

Actually, just re-read my original post about adding a socket and if the garage consumer unit was on the RCD side of the main CU in the house it would be ok. Otherwise I would have to use plug sockets with built in RCD protection. The comment about the extension must have been from another DIY newsgroup somewhere.

i attemped something like this and it was fine but isn't running a freezer and dryer at the same time going to go over 13amp? also you need 1.5mm2 flex.

i attemped something like this and it was fine but isn't running a freezer and dryer at the same time going to go over 13amp?

:eek: How do I find out

What is the rating of the freezer + rating of washer?

1.5mm² cable is rated up to 15A but as already pointed out anything above 13A (3kW) will be a problem.

Hence having it permanently wired.

So, is it the rating in WATTS I need to combine. So, I can't exceed 13A (3 Kw). So, if I add the output in Watts, if it is below 3,000, will I be ok?

Thanks, so if the combined wattage was over 3100 would I then need to permanently wire in a new socket, in which case I need to check whether the rcd test button trips out the garage.

What is the maximum load a permanently wired socket can take?

13A - in the case of a double socket this is the combined rating of both outlets added together.

If the supply to the garge is not RCD protected why not run a spur in 2.5mm T&E to the freezer from the garge CU power circuit and connect the freezer via a fused spur. Then wire in an RCD socket for the dryer spured of the exisiting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back