cable for extension lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Basic question, but which type of cable should I be opting for for an extension lead.

Essentially wish to avoid buying a cable that is way overpriced in one of the DIY sheds.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having a reel is not an option :p I have more than one of those anyway. I probably already have suitable cable, but did not want to use the wrong sort.

I wish to use a plug and 2 gang socket - but need to use an appropriate cable in between.

Sponsored Links
Having a reel is not an option :p I have more than one of those anyway. I probably already have suitable cable, but did not want to use the wrong sort.

I wish to use a plug and 2 gang socket - but need to use an appropriate cable in between.
For what items of equipment, what environment and what distance? Is it outdoor use and do you have RCD facility?

Reels are less than ideal. They may be seem a nce neat way of storing cable but they are technically problematic. A loaded cable wholly or partially wound onto the reel WILL overheat. You're better having a loose coil, as illustrated.

Reels are less than ideal. They may be seem a nce neat way of storing cable but they are technically problematic. A loaded cable wholly or partially wound onto the reel WILL overheat. You're better having a loose coil, as illustrated.

The reel is meant for storage, there are no technical problems if you unreel the whole cable, the only problem is, people are too idle to do so! Oh yes and then the trip hazard, that needs risk assessing and reporting to the HSE.

And why would you want to report a trip hazard to the HSE. Application of common sense not wanton bureaucracy is all that's required. It's not the HSE's job to wipe the *rse of industry, their job is the prosecution of criminal activity on the factory floor. We seem to have gotten into the habit of throwing common sense out of the window and relying upon what is essentially a prosecution body to look after us (the nanny state but in reverse)

their job is the prosecution of criminal activity on the factory floor
Actually it isn't. Their job is to strive to prevent accidents at work, and prosecution is a last resort. Unfortunately the cutbacks have left them with fewer Inspectors, who would spot things like trip hazards and issue Improvement Notices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back