What type of door for this porch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change the existing porch doors for a single one. Clearly the previous owners were all anorexic!

Porch.jpg

I did assume I would need an actual external door but now I'm not so sure. The porch door is not the main "security" door so no need for one of those and bound by any regulations.

I've realised there is a brand new and unpainted external door in the garage that the previous owners left although I wonder if they didn't install it because it's about 785mm wide whereas the width between the porch door frames is 825mm - I think that's a big difference.

However, regardless of the width, it is blooming heavy and I'm wondering if a door like that can be supported properly by a wooden slim framed porch such as mine?

Are there any reasons why I should or must not buy an internal door for this porch?

I have seen an external and internal door that look very similar to each except the internal one is 10kg lighter weighing in at 25kg.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
As you said, security aside...

Internal and external doors are often made from different materials and constructed differently. The main reason, of course, is where they are being used. Bear in mind that an external door on a porch will be subject to all sorts of weather conditions. Wet and damp can be issues but also extremes of hot and cold. All these weather conditions can affect the door - not just cosmetically but construction-wise (joints can be pulled apart in some cases)

One of the experts on here will give you definitive advice but I would be wary of using an internal door for an exterior project.

Just IMHO though.

The reason for fitting double doors is because a single door would not open in fully and would foul the inner door sill, before you go out and spend your hard earned cash measure the distance between the inner door sill and outer frame

The reason for fitting double doors is because a single door would not open in fully and would foul the inner door sill, before you go out and spend your hard earned cash measure the distance between the inner door sill and outer frame

Bugger, you're right - a single door would be 0.75cm too long. Looks like I will have to either shorten the sill or reduce the width of the outer frame.

The sill seems quite long actually but it looks like I have to take it out first to shorten it so I think I'll give that a miss and go with the door frame instead.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
...an external door on a porch will be subject to all sorts of weather conditions. Wet and damp can be issues but also extremes of hot and cold. All these weather conditions can affect the door - not just cosmetically but construction-wise...

Yes, good point. I would prefer an external door but just worried about the weight on the door frame and I'm guessing if I get a really sturdy internal door then it would probably be about the same weight anyway!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back