What type of fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a lengthy thread about lots of things with my outside so will keep this one simple.

Wanting to build fence to;

a) Make rear more secure for children
b) Help prevent wind tunnel between house and garage

So we live on top of a big hill and it can get quite windy. Between the House and the garage there seems to be quite a wind tunnel also with neighbours house having a garage and house too. With that being said, what would be the best type of fence to build for this? I want to make it wooden and would like it to be 6' high, but should i be leaving plenty gaps in between? I presume I can not butt the boards all up with no gaps if its windy? Whats best suggestion?

I will also be building a gate for it. Someone else said I should not put it against the house? If not in this position do I need to fix it to a post that is in ground, thus making the gate more central? Or could I make a small 30cm section to the right that attaches to house wall?

Rough idea and some pics below;

One other thing, I am considerting also building a fence all along between neighbour on other side in garden and at rear. Her fence has no gaps and is the fence panel type. Could I get away with butting fence tight together here for a nicer look? Its also going down hill so need to work out best way of doing that with lines etc.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You could do a hit and Miss fence.
That is basically a rail with the boards on alternative sides as they go up/along

My side gate hinges so it closes against the house wall- there is a 4" post booted to the house wall
You could possibly make the driveway fence a gate- large that folds against the neighbour's fence but short so it stops 3feet short of the drive width. Then hinge the smaller gate against the house to fill the gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back