What type of fitting is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've got a leaking shower. I've identified this as the offending joint, it is the rightangle connector for the hot water that goes from upright (behind the tiles) to forward (to the shower mixer tap)

It's definately this that is leaking but it looks like a push fit joint, I've not seen any copper ones of these.

How do I go about getting this off and putting a replacement on?

Many thanks

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/641/pict0163bt7.jpg
pict0163bt7.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
From deduction I reckon its from teh push fit side, the leak had run vertically down the pipe at the back. If it had been from thr front it probably would have fallen onto the wood around the connector.

I'll connect the shower mixer back on and check though - woudl be great if I just need a new olive and some ptfe tape!

Sponsored Links
It's a Yorkshire Tectite Classic bent tap connector fitting.

Where is the leak from...the red fibre washer or the pushfit connector.

You will need the removal tool to remove the fitting as the light coloured brown plastic ring must be pushed into the fitting to allow removal..won't be easy with the limited access.

http://www.yorkshirefittings.co.uk/...lderID=125&button=General Information[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does seem to be coming from the push fit end. I'll be off to the plumb centre after a removal tool then. Will I just need a replacement connector, or will it have compressed the pipe allready necessitating a pipe replacement also?

Many thanks

The pipe will not be compressed - it's an O ring seal not a conventional olive.

You will need to ensure the pipe end is thoroughly cleaned of all scale - use a fine grade emery cloth. However since it has leaked check the end of the pipe has not been cut with a hacksaw - it must be free from any burr since this will damage the O ring within the fitting. Personally I would always use a soldered fitting.

No removal tools at the local pumb centre. If I can get some grips on below the fitting should I be able to wiggle it off?

Plumb centre echoed the above advice regarding using solder joints, but given I cant get round the back they recommended just using a compression joint with plenty of PTFE.

No one seems to sell Tectite within about 50 miles!!! On the website their release tool looks like a spanner with a round opening.
Ive tried putting a 15mm spanner under the release ring and pushing down as hard as I can on teh conenctor but it's still on.

Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back