What type of fitting to use for this watermeter ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a watermeter for a project but I'm having trouble trying to find fittings for it. Its a 3/4" BSPP connector at each end.

Tap connectors are the right thread but won't fit due to the inner diameter of the water meter inlet.

Is this a case of using something like this with a shedload of PTFE on the threads or is there a better solution ? :

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38542/Plumbing/Compression-Fittings/Flowflex-Female-Coupler-15mm-x

Picture of the inlet of the watermeter

Thanks
Dom

Sponsored Links
The 3/4" Femaile iron in your link will be fine, wrap the PTFE round the thread in a clockwise direction as you look at your pic

i think youll need a female iron rather than a tap connector

you can get 3/4" female iron to 22mm compression or some such like.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/female+iron+elbow+22mm+3+4+compression+fitting/pid/1418268

this one is an elbow, but you get the gist

As above - tap connector doesn't fit but the fitting I've got (well I've spotted on Screwfix) looks just like the one you've linked to (but straight and 15mm to 3/4" BSPP)

So I'm correct in thinking I use one of those and a load of PTFE ?

Cheers for the quick reply by the way :D

Sponsored Links
A 3/4" flat face union would be better if you could source one.

They make proper fittings for meters if you ask in a plumbers merchants, such as BSS, Pipeline. etc.

A lot depends on where the water meter is going, if it's going in the ground then a a compression fitting is no good. Let me just consult my Regs book :LOL:

mockery-056.gif

Its actually going in a steel box mounted on a wall. Its to measure a preset quantity of fluid (1000 litres at a time)

I picked up the doodah from Screwfix earlier and its got a nice flat machined face inside (15mm to 3/4" BSP) which looks like it will take a rubber washer from a washing machine hose which should also help with the watertightness.

Its all isolated with a full gate ball valve anyway when not in use and is only used once a day but it stops the muppets filling the containers leaving it all on, going for lunch and flooding out the warehouse :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back