What type of timber from B&Q for outside chicken run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20170817-120602.png

These are the construction timber options they have... What are the various options and which is best for outside, contact with the soil?

I seem to recall you used to buy green, impregnated timber but maybe things have moved on.

Regardless of what I buy, do I need to use additional protection given my run will be resting directly on the damp ground?

Sponsored Links
for outdoor work, I have recently been using decking timbers. It is cheap and pre-treated.

B&Q construction timber is for building houses, not intended for outdoor work.

Any timber in contact with the ground will eventually rot. You can use concrete spurs and bolt the legs to them, 150mm above ground level. Also soak timber ends in wood preservative (not the same as stain) which contains fungicide and insecticide to kill rot and woodworm.

I've been using Wickes own-brand spirit-based, it seems similar to Cuprinol and also leaves a coloured water-repellent coating.

Yours needs to be foxproof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back