What watt for security flood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to put some new PIR floods around the house. Given most are now LED, I’m struggling to figure out what wattage I want/need.
Pretty sure 500w would be a good starting point in old money - this is for a single flood over a garden patio for example. I want something bright enough to really light the area when triggered, not just give a warm glow (already got sodium lamps for that.)

What do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks. Now I need to find some with a proper adjustable head, not just up/down angle...

Sponsored Links
Way over the top and not allowed.

20w LED is OK for most needs.
I seem to remember 150W without planning permission when using tungsten? So around 1250 lumen so would consider around 15W in LED however not seen any law where the output is given in lumen, so maybe we can use 150W LED? However it is likely some time in the future even if not at the moment we will see the law changed to lumen so I would say safe way is limit LED flood to 15W.

Didn’t realise there was a limit for the old tungsten stuff. Was going on memory for 500w. So LED equiv for 150w a good starting point?

Hardest thing seems to be finding any with proper swivel head. Where I can mount them means the have to be angled both downwards AND to the side to be of use...

In the olden days, I used to fit 500W floods on an "L" bracket to give adjustability both ways. Those less informed would fit theirs at an angle, which not only looks gash, but lessens lamp life.

One of the Parts of the building regulations limited flood light size without planning permission, however when I hunted for it, I couldn't find it, so maybe it has been dropped, but I think unlikely, I did find guides to regulations which seem to say 2000 lumen is the limit. But of course one can apply for permission so there is no limit of what can be bought, and back in the 90's I was fitting 500W and 1500W floods as if not tomorrow, then the 500W tube seemed to vanish and dropped to 300W then the mini flood arrived at 150W which I assumed to to comply with the new building regulations?

So I bought a quartz tube flood and replaced the tube with LED, seem to remember around 8W which was plenty to light dark areas of our small drive, seem to remember in mothers house used a 10W again LED but built into light, longer drive and still ample, around twice length of house, however it did not have the controls on the PIR in the same way and ended up with tape over part of the PIR to reduce how sensitive.

The same problem in this house, having a carriage lamp light up when cat passes is OK, likely a 10W bulb non directional, however having a 20W flood lights come on with a PIR it is rather bright and you don't want it lighting when wind moves a tree or cat walks by, not sure why a tree should trigger a PIR but in high winds it does. Must be some thing hot beyond it.

The lights do have switches at the door to turn them off, but the switches will not turn them on unless the PIR is activated, nothing as annoying as walking from car with an arm full of stuff walking up the steps and the light goes off, so I have on my to do list replace PIR with a wifi unit so I can select when it lights using my phone. Likely use simple plug and socket with wifi socket, it is also good for isolation should water get in lamp.

Eric,
wrt "replace PIR with a wifi unit", I left the PIR in place and also added a WIFI switch.

So now it comes on with wifi when guests arrive and I can also and separately switch on with wifi.

Only issue is knowing if it is on because of PIR or wifi, so incase if leave the wifi on by mistake, I have an automatic wifi 'off' command for midnight and 8am
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back